PI drivers

Darryl Bailey
Posted
Posted

this is for the new people coming to the PI

there was a new law 

I heard u can't convert your foreign drivers. on a tourist visa until u have lived there for a year

has anyone in the PI seen this ??

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

The law isn't new it's been in effect for over 2 years. Like everything here it depends on what LTO office you go to. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

To be more precise, some LTO offices are insisting that you can prove you will be living here for at least a year.  That is hard to do on a tourist visa.  If one LTO office will not assist you on that then go to another and try again.  It is likely you will find a helpful soul if you try enough LTOs

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

To be more precise, some LTO offices are insisting that you can prove you will be living here for at least a year.  That is hard to do on a tourist visa.  If one LTO office will not assist you on that then go to another and try again.  It is likely you will find a helpful soul if you try enough LTOs

Although I have not gotten a Phil’s DL yet, I did look into it. Mostly now just for ID purposes and to avoid issues when driving, as I don’t normally carry my passport to prove I’ve been here less then 90 days. I was told a letter from my landlord indicating that I have a one year lease would suffice. 

To me it’s just another example of some of the messed up laws. One law says you must get a DL after 90 days and another says you can’t until you’re here for a year. I am of course only speaking about those of us who are here on tourist visa’s. I asked an LTO officer about this incongruity - her reply was only that she shrugged her shoulders.  

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If one LTO office will not assist you on that then go to another and try again.  It is likely you will find a helpful soul if you try enough LTOs

Ooooh yeah......many years ago, corruption was alive and well, with no remorse (for late payments/utong) and many low level aristocrats with ill gotten wealth.  Even down to the common folks, street to street corruption was alive and well.  

For example, a certain LTO official has final signature of your license or registration -- he is fairly well do to, fat like a Chinese Buddha.  Usually you greet the official at the front of his desk.  But I was led approaching the side of his desk.  Yep, his side drawer was partially open with a few pesos being revealed.  It took me a few minutes to figure it out and finally dropped a hundred -- it's called expedite or express service.  

I do hope that ALL LTO officials are afraid of President Duterte -- he's a big anti-corruption type of guy.  And I believe it has drastically improved with less and less obvious corruption practices.  But if you see a partially open drawer........it's in the Filipino culture.  It's called the Under-the-Table deal. 

PS.....this is, by no means that I encourage "greasing the system" by slipping a 500 note into someone's palm.  It's usually against the law, right?

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The requirements are to have been in the Philippines for at least 1 month then show that you have a visa allowing you to stay for at least one year. YMMV

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The requirements for getting a licence here are open to interpretation.I know people who have just got of the plane(literally) and get one.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

open to interpretation.

not only interpretation, but if the klerk your dealing with knows the rules or frankly even gives a rats patoot about them lolol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Darryl Bailey
Posted
Posted

good info, thanks guys 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

As has been highlighted here everything pretty much is up to the interpretation of those on duty when you go into any Government office. Yes the law states you must prove you will be living here for one year and that is checked from your visa. Technically this cancels out anyone on a tourist visa. If you do get one on  tourist visa due to the employers lack of knowledge then the next issue i your insurance and if involved in an accident.

I know in the West insurers don't like paying out so if they look into your licence here and find it invalid it can open a whole can of worms. Especially if you kill someones prize caribou or ex crufts champion dog.

• Like 2