13 A visa submitted from Australia

Trevor Evans
Posted
Posted

Hi Folks first post here. in the very near future me and my wife (Filipino of ten years) are going to live in the Phils full time.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has applied from Australia for a 13A.

Is this going to be the right visa for me?

How long does it take to get?

How long do you have once you receive the visa and you have to get going?

How much are they looking for in the way of assets values for self supporting yourselves?

And I take it, it easier to apply here then in the Phil for the visa (I remember clearly how much of a headf..k it was dealing with Manila Aust embassy)

Is there any promos and go with the visa like, free import taxes on house hold goods etc

Thx

Trev

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Trevor Evans said:

s there any promos and go with the visa like, free import taxes on house hold goods etc

You can import personal items for free, no custom tax. http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/uploads/pdfs/DutyFreeImportation.pdf

Spoiler

DUTY–FREE SHIPMENT OF PERSONAL EFFECTS INTO THE PHILIPPINES
1. Under Section 105 (h) of the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines (provided below),
personal and household effects (EXCEPT MOTOR VEHICLES, VESSEL, AIRCRAFTS,
MACHINERIES AND OTHER SIMILAR ARTICLES) of persons coming to settle
permanently in the Philippines can apply for duty-free treatment. Such persons include:
a. Filipinos who are now residents of another country (including dual citizen)
b. Foreigners married to Filipinos (13A visa)
c. Former Filipinos (13G visa)
2. If you qualify on any of the above categories, please be guided by the following:
a. Shipment of your personal and household effects will be exempted from payment of
customs duties and taxes as provided for in Section 105 (h) of the Tariff and Customs
Code of the Philippines. (Section 105 is quoted below)
b. However, the person who wishes to avail of such privilege should secure either before
departure from country of residence or within 60 days upon his arrival in the
Philippines, written approval from the Department of Finance for tax and duty-free
importation of household goods.
3. A letter of Request for tax and duty exemption should be addressed to:
 The Secretary of Finance
 Attn: Mr. Gerry Montes
 Mabuhay Lane Office
 Podium, Executive Tower Building,
 BSP Complex, Manila 1004
 Philippines
 Phone: 632.526.8470
 Email: letters@dof.gov.ph
4. The following documents should accompany the Letter of Request for tax and duty free
importation:

Photocopies of:
a. Passport (if Filipino citizen), or for dual citizenship, foreign passport, Oath of Allegiance
as Filipino Citizen and Order Granting Filipino Citizenship
 13A visa (if foreigner is married to a Filipino citizen) or
 13G visa (if former Filipino)
b. For Filipino citizens, copy of marriage certificate as proof of residency in the foreign
country
c. For 13A and 13G visa holders: copies of Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) and
Immigration Certificate of Residence (ICR)
d. Inventory List
e. Bill of Lading
f. Affidavit of Ownership (duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy of Consulate with
jurisdiction over your state of residence. (Note: it is suggested that whenever possible,
applicants should come to the Consulate or Embassy to sign their affidavit personally
in front of the Consular officer. In this case, authentication can follow right away. If
the affidavit is sent by mail, it should first be notarized by a qualified notary, then
authenticated by the State Secretary of the applicant’s State of residence. Only after
the State Secretary’s authentication should it be sent to the Philippine Embassy or
Consulate for final authentication).
5. Applicants for tax and duty-free importation should be ready with the original copies of
documents mentioned in paragraph 4 above for presentation to the Department of
Finance or Bureau of Customs when claiming your goods or as otherwise required.
Section 105 (h) of the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines
Professional instruments and implements, tools of trade, occupation or employment, wearing
apparel, domestic animals, and personal and household effects belonging to persons coming to
settle in the Philippines or Filipinos and/or their families and descendants who are now residents or
citizens of other countries, such parties hereinafter referred to as Overseas Filipinos, in quantities
and of the class suitable to the profession, rank or position of the persons importing them, for their
own use and not for barter or sale, accompanying such persons, or arriving within a reasonable 
time, in the discretion of the Collector of Customs, before or after the arrival of their owners, which
shall not be later than February 28, 1979 upon the production of evidence satisfactory to the
Collector of Customs that such persons are actually coming to settle in the Philippines, that change
of residence was bona fide and that the privilege of free entry was never granted to them before or
that such person qualifies under the provisions of Letters of Instructions 105, 163 and 210, and
that the articles are brought from their former place of abode, shall be exempt from the payment
of customs duties and taxes: Provided, That vehicles, vessels, aircrafts, machineries and other
similar articles for use in manufacture, shall not be classified hereunder

You might also consider one of the applicable options with a SRRV, http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Trevor Evans said:

free import taxes on house hold goods etc

As a returning Filipino national I am sure your Wife will get the full benefits that go with that & you would get a free 1 year BB Stamp, Good for you to get things sorted out  :smile:

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The big difference is that if you obtain your 13a in Australia it is perminent whereas if you get it in Manila it's a 1 year probationary and then you go through the whole process again at the end of the year. A lot cheaper to do it just the once.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

The big difference is that if you obtain your 13a in Australia it is perminent

Gary and all, I am not too sure this is the case anymore, seems some have been caught out on this. Yes! it used to be that way but I am trying to find out just what is what on this.

Trevor Evans
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply's guys, after a fair old wait I got a reply back from Philippine Embassy ACT saying

'The first issuance of the visa will be probationary for 1 year. After the initial 1 year probationary period  you need to have the status changed to permanent. You are then free to stay in the Philippines for as long as you wish. You will also need to renew your ACR card every 5 years and report to your Philippine Bureau of Immigration every year as per normal'

One would hope you don't have to go through ozzie checks again as you would have lived the last year in the Phils.

Anyone know how long this this 13a takes to get from start to finish here in oz?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Trevor Evans said:

here in oz?

Sorry Trevor, got mine here in the Philippines 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Gary D said:

The big difference is that if you obtain your 13a in Australia it is perminent whereas if you get it in Manila it's a 1 year probationary and then you go through the whole process again at the end of the year. A lot cheaper to do it just the once.

Had a mate not listen to me but:571c66d400c8c_1(103): some never do.

1 hour ago, Trevor Evans said:

'The first issuance of the visa will be probationary for 1 year. After the initial 1 year probationary period  you need to have the status changed to permanent.

Here we have the Update so we all know now

Gary D
Posted
Posted
On 21/02/2018 at 12:14 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Had a mate not listen to me but:571c66d400c8c_1(103): some never do.

Here we have the Update so we all know now

This is from the London Embassy site, it looks like the changes are bigger than thought.

Note:
The non-quota immigrant visa is a one-year multiple entry visa which should be renewed in the Philippines for three (3) consecutive years. On the fourth year (3rd renewal), the applicant may apply for permanent residency in the Philippines.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Gary D said:

looks like the changes are bigger than thought

Next thing ya know they will be telling us we cannot stay 10 years as a tourist by leaving and coming back every once in a while.  That would suck. :popcorn: