Mitsubushi L300

RBM
Posted
Posted

I have been nominated to source the above, some where around P400k. From searching through OLX seems like about a 2003---6 model 100K up km, who would really know.

Being non mechanical was wondering if some of the more knowledge members here could perhaps advise any common faults with these units which I could look out for. It's doubtful unless one knows a mechanic that I could get any help from locals, the old commission word springs to mind.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

The only problems that you might have with a brand new mitsubishi is that modern diesels are a lot more complex than the 15 year old diesels

I've had a few pajero in the past and I love them for their robust and reliable engines ,you have to keep them well serviced ,changing the diff and transmission oil is a pain 

For the price difference is go for the new vehicle 

Problem is that I'd have to pay a mechanic to service it whilst under warranty

• 3 weeks later...
robert k
Posted
Posted
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, bastonjock said:

The only problems that you might have with a brand new mitsubishi is that modern diesels are a lot more complex than the 15 year old diesels

I've had a few pajero in the past and I love them for their robust and reliable engines ,you have to keep them well serviced ,changing the diff and transmission oil is a pain 

For the price difference is go for the new vehicle 

Problem is that I'd have to pay a mechanic to service it whilst under warranty

Nope, it's the same old reliable 4D56 engine. For the OP buying used, find out about the timing belt having been changed or count on changing it immediately. The 4D56 is an interference engine and can bend every single valve if the timing belt slips. If the belt broke cleanly it would only wipe out about 1/4 of the valves. As Dave said, for the cost, new would appear the way to go if at all possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 11/03/2018 at 1:22 PM, robert k said:

Nope, it's the same old reliable 4D56 engine. For the OP buying used, find out about the timing belt having been changed or count on changing it immediately. The 4D56 is an interference engine and can bend every single valve if the timing belt slips. If the belt broke cleanly it would only wipe out about 1/4 of the valves. As Dave said, for the cost, new would appear the way to go if at all possible.

That's what happened to my Pajero, Timing belt failed,  only had it a week. I was going to have everything checked but never got round to doing it. Had all sorts of problems with it. Touch wood (head) seems okay now 

robert k
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, jimeve said:

That's what happened to my Pajero, Timing belt failed,  only had it a week. I was going to have everything checked but never got round to doing it. Had all sorts of problems with it. Touch wood (head) seems okay now 

Ouch! Bad things happen to good people.

• Like 2