Looking for a condo

Saint Pat
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Am Pat from Dublin, Ireland.

I'm retired and perhaps moving permanently to Philippines to be with my fiancee there.

I'm looking for suggestions as to where I can buy a condo, preferably in a seaview area.

As I understand it a foreigner can own a condo and get the title deed in his/her name. Is that correct?

My budget would be in the region of 3m-4.5m php's.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Pat

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Welcome Pat

Yes you can own a condo in your name. Any idea where you would like to live as for example I can see the sea from my condo but to get there is a fair ride. Also we have to change your display name as the autocorrect/filter changed it for reasons that will take to long to explain. :thumbsup:

Saint Pat
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Welcome Pat

Yes you can own a condo in your name. Any idea where you would like to live as for example I can see the sea from my condo but to get there is a fair ride. Also we have to change your display name as the autocorrect/filter changed it for reasons that will take to long to explain. :thumbsup:

Am open to suggestions but not Boracay. I love Bohol. As long as it meets my budget limitations I'm happy to consider the location. Am looking for 1 bedroom.

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

Hi Pat. I' also from Ireland and considering doing the same but I'm not yet retired.  I spent 4 months living there November 2014 to Feb 2015. I loved it. I stayed in Cebu city primarily but travelled about Cebu island Bohol and Negros(Dumaguette). 

I would hold off buying yet. I would spend a year travelling around a bit. Stay a month or two in a few places. Get a feel for where you like. I found the different places to be very different. Also it will depend on what you want to do and if you like big city' or small towns or somewhere inbetween. 

• Like 3

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

4 million Paso will easily get you what you want outside of the city's. 

However I would also consider spending that 4 million €80k on an apartment in Ireland and using the income from rent to pay for rent in the Philippines. 

• Like 1

Saint Pat
Posted
Posted

Go raibh maith agat Top Cat.

Good ideas there. I have friends in Panglao that I have made over the last 2 years and I really like it there.

But your suggestion re traveling around is good also.

Re buying an apartment in Ireland. For €80,000 it would have to be outside Dublin. Not sure if the rental income after tax, worry about the place, repairs etc or paying someone to manage it, would be worth all the hassle. But fair point.

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

Php40k per month will rent a very nice place. In fact I have seen nice places for half that. That'  €400 to €800 per month. Well achievable for a €80k investment outside of Dublin. However I agree with the potential headache.

You have to balance that with the potential for headaches in Philippines. It also means you have somewhere to come back to if you ever need to for personal or health problems. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I see it as many places in that price range but realistically no way to advise you as everyone is different in needs etc.  Your fiance? where is she from and what is her thoughts? 

Saint Pat
Posted
Posted

She's from Pagadian Mindanao. She's not traveled in Phil's except when we've gone together and some short breaks with the family she nanny's for. So like me she's also searching and asking friends for recommendations.

As a matter of interest does being in a relationship with a pinay and having a property either bought or under lease curry any favour with immigration re visa extensions?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Pat, welcome to the forum.

:hystery: This is a tough one, there are so many islands, so many condos, so many views that this is almost impossible to give definite advise. 

Here is the easy way, go to a mall in a area that you might be interested in living, walk around for a little bit, and I will wager the title to my house that a sales representative will have you an advertisement pamphlet about a near by condo building. I am serious every mall I go to have little booths like this.

The good news, is that almost every condo I have seen (except in super resort or business areas) is right in the 4-5 million peso ball park.