Buy or Rent?

Kevin Freeman
Posted
Posted

Hi all

I have been visiting Phil for many years, at last l have met the woman l wish to marry and settle down with in Bilican (formerly a province of Leyte), l do not intend to move n live there for another 4 years(waiting retirement age 66), l will have a little nest egg, State pension and Army pensions. I am an easy going man who enjoys the simple life and l am happy to move my future wife out of Manila to live in her province with my future stepdaughter who lives there already with my partners parents.

The problem l have is due to the lack of developments, l cannot find a suitable 2/3 bedroom house/villa/bungalow to purchase or am l looking at this the wrong way? Am l better of buying or renting?

Advice please

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kevin Freeman said:

The problem l have is due to the lack of developments, l cannot find a suitable 2/3 bedroom house/villa/bungalow to purchase or am l looking at this the wrong way? Am l better of buying or renting?

I know there are a few places for sale in Biliran but its hard to find a good rental.  They are there but require a little luck to find them. 

Are you sure you want to live there?  Many find its not for them after a few years and once you have bought there it is almost impossible to sell for what you have into it.

What barangay/city would you live in?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know there are a few places for sale in Biliran but its hard to find a good rental.

Is  Bilican and Biliran the same place ? I guess so but small typo. 

Personally I would not buy anything 4 years from when you intend to live there. At the moment she is your future wife so wait until the future is here. Are you sure she will want to leave Manila ? 

• Like 2

Gary Wak
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know there are a few places for sale in Biliran but its hard to find a good rental.  They are there but require a little luck to find them. 

Are you sure you want to live there?  Many find its not for them after a few years and once you have bought there it is almost impossible to sell for what you have into it.

What barangay/city would you live in?

this guys talkign sence trying sell house  is untrue they think anyone selling house is desprate for money and you ,ll have sell it for such low price i had house in zamboanga and had neally give it away and if you rent it out keeping the upkeep cost you more than rent you ,ll get  rent for few years and see if your both happy you might not  like women or family after you have lived with her for a few yrs at least you can walk away  ppl change when you live with them 100% time   you will see diffrent person and as house has be in her name just be carefull .

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kevin Freeman said:

in Bilican (formerly a province of Leyte)

39 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Is  Bilican and Biliran the same place ?

It must be as there is no such place called "Bilican" that is a former province of Leyte.  So I am sure it was a typo and he meant Biliran.

• Like 2

Kevin Freeman
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Is  Bilican and Biliran the same place ? I guess so but small typo. 

Personally I would not buy anything 4 years from when you intend to live there. At the moment she is your future wife so wait until the future is here. Are you sure she will want to leave Manila ? 

Yes for sure she wants to go home n be near her parents, l have no problem to that, she is a live in housekeeper n treated quite unfairly, l am of a mind to rent for the 4 years until l get there and decide from there so your suggestion is compatible with my main thoughts so thanks for taking the time

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Kevin Freeman said:

Okay all thanks for your advice, l am going to rent, and wait and see how my relationship with her and her family develops.

thank you.

Good I have seen quite s few people jump in headfirst and after 6 months regret it.I have been here nearly 7 years and am only just starting to build a property.It was not anything to do with here but just pure economics which held me up this long.I still have 10 years until my pension kicks in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
robert k
Posted
Posted

Finding a nice property to rent can be a pain, anywhere. Good luck.

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Finding rentals are most easy by plying the choosen area with motorcycle or car. Over the internet it is very difficult to find something nice and well priced in provincial areas.

• Like 3