Buy or Rent?

Kevin Freeman
Posted
Posted

Sorry if l mislead anyone but l have been visiting/staying in the Philippines for 10+ years, l am aware of the pitfalls and dangers but some times you just have to take a chance in life, it seems my partners mother has land she inherited and is willing to let us build a house with garden, which is all l want really, l love the peace n quite of the area Biliran suits me fine, so l will chat with her family when we visit in may and look at all the options. I have no problems with Land/Home ownership as it is my intention to live there for the rest of my life (once l hit pension age in 4 years) and will be very happy letting my future wife/stepdaughter inherit the house.

One again thanks to everyone for there "opinions and advice", l will watch n see, l suspect in the end l will build  as its a no brainer, suits me and suits all her family.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kevin Freeman said:

the peace n quite of the area Biliran

Either you do not know the place or you are just being facetious:

These were the busses attacked and burnt in 2016

School busses burnt.jpg

But in case you think that's isolated.  Here is as pic of the busses attacked and burnt in 2011 (There are two, look close, drivers were assassinated).

Silverstar.png

As to "bad people", Gene Abrams used to travel with a pistol in his glove box due to attempts to hijack him when travelling at night.  Didn't do him any good eventually as someone got to him with a grenade (that failed to go off) and a pistol that did.

Then there's Henk who was assassinated a year or two back.  A few others I cannot even remember as I did not know them that well. And you call it peaceful and quiet.  Yes it can be, but it often isn't.  These were just a sampling of some of the things that are not so peaceful and quiet on Biliran.

It may be a "no brainer" for you to build there, but do yourself a favor and stop in at Chamorita and have a talk with Leo first.  If he will talk to you then listen close.  IMHO he is the wisest expat on the island.  I say "if he will talk to you" because he gave up on talking to foreigners who have already made up their mind a long time ago.

Yes, this kind of thing goes on all over the world, but how often should you really expect this kind of activity on an island that is 500 sq km and has a population for the entire island of less than 200,000 people.  Not what I call peaceful.

This is not me trying to discourage you.  Heck, I lived there for years and lots of my friends still do.  I'm just strongly suggesting you don't go there with rose colored glasses.

• Like 1

Kevin Freeman
Posted
Posted

I am aware of the Bus arson which was a reaction of opposition to the Espina (Mayor) family and there politics and as for the other guys who were murdered, l have been informed that one was  because of an alledged matrimonial affair and he was killed by a third party, and the other because of some land/property dispute. l have spoken to my partner and seems to think that Chamorita is closed, but l will look for it when l am visiting and make relevant enquiries.

I am going to survey not reside, and l will be sure to make a careful survey of all things relevant before making my final decision. We have seen far worst things here in England, terrorist attacks, murders, rapes, rioting n looting, so no it doers not dissuade me in the least, l suspect compliance and integration with the local population would be a good step forward for me to take.

Good n bad everywhere. And the good far out weighs the bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Another question: which activities are you planning to do when you will live on Biliran? There are enough expats living on beautiful small islands and the only activites they have are drinking and ranting due lack of other activities.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Kevin Freeman said:

l have spoken to my partner and seems to think that Chamorita is closed, but l will look for it when l am visiting and make relevant enquiries.

A wise move.

I doubt Chamorita has closed.  I could email Leo and ask but he would say:  Why would you think that when you can see Chamorita is still getting good reviews on TripAdvisor just weeks ago?

Thanks for taking my points seriously.

There are a great bunch of expats on Biliran and if you like a quiet life you can find it, but caution and low profile are definitely the watchwords there.

• Like 2

Kevin Freeman
Posted
Posted

Sorry but l do not use Trip Advisor, as for caution and low profile, that suits me to the ground, l intend to just fade into the back ground, help my partners family, l hope to make a small orchard growing some traditional British Fruits, Veg and Salads stuff. And thanks Dave for you advice.

Its a bit sad that people judge others (whom they have never met of know nothing about) by the actions of others, but that is a natural reaction for those of a narrow mind. I am a non smoker and a non alcohol drinking ex Veteran, been there done that and got the T Shirt, l am 61 years old l am not a naïve tourist. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Kevin Freeman said:

a non alcohol drinking ex Veteran

Well you'll have something in common with the Leo I mentioned, he put his 20 years in the Navy and even though he runs a resto-bar you will seldom see him drink.  You'll like him so long as you don't get into a poker game with him.  He's good.

Kevin Freeman
Posted
Posted

No problems there, l do not play cards for money, nor do l do the horses, l will shoot a game of pool for fun but that's about it, and l very rarely have a beer (over a year since my last one) and never touch the shots or shorts.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 3/14/2018 at 12:37 AM, Dr. Shiva said:

There are enough expats living on beautiful small islands and the only activites they have are drinking and ranting due lack of other activities.

Sometimes these people who drink and rant all day do not look for things to do.They will not get off the barstool to go and see a waterfall or a museum or some such activity.As for buying over renting I had never rented before I came to the phills and now I feel the time is right for me and my family to build some property. Good luck Kevin  Freeman on whatever you decide to do.You seem like a cautious person so I think you will do just fine.

• Like 5

Kevin Freeman
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much for your unbiased comments, 

• Like 1