ExPat getogether Experiences

PeterC
Posted
Posted

wow some good points and hope newbis are reading. We started off with 3 Brits 4 years ago then an Aussie chap, then the US guys came along. I intended it to be just us Brits but the first American guy I learnt would dress up in Santa Claus outfit at Christmas and walk into the town giving away sweets from a sack........good enough for our group I thought. We slowly drifted apart to become 2 groups, the bar types and the non bar types. Everyone enjoys a beer or two but when it becomes over 5 then nothing sensible gets said not everyone wants the company.  Mila and I bought a small Kareoke to practice with because I was fed up with declining the invite to sing. Now I know what my old throat can do reasonably well...Are you lonely tonight, good old Franky songs etc. In moderation Kareoke times are enjoyable but a drunken expat with the mike brings the place down and its time to leave. The ladies enjoy the Kareoke always and the duets are entertaining. My  experience of expats abroad is that we have all lead interesting lives or maybe made a break from tedium and made a new life for ourselves but being occupied 24/7 is paramount to being happy. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

Honestly, I rarely worry about meeting another expat.  I have one friend who just moved to Cebu for cancer treatments and another who comes by from Australia every few months.  I'm not a big nightlife person (new Asawa and baby!) and I'm more likely to get up at 4 am to get a walk in before I start work.  Lately, with the grapefruit games on at 1 am, I'm getting up a little earlier...  Hehe!  I did catch the games sometimes at one of the 7-11 stores with an American who was visiting.  He was from Buffalo...  15 minutes and a bridge across the border from my hometown in Canada - and a Blue Jays fan as Buffalo has our AAA team.  But other than this, I'm usually with Filipinos...  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, i am bob said:

But other than this, I'm usually with Filipinos...  

We noticed despite several Invites :smile:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

We noticed despite several Invites :smile:

Yeah, but a couple ferry rides is a bit too far...  :morning1:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, i am bob said:

Yeah, but a couple ferry rides is a bit too far.

Its the modern era.  Takes 1 hr and 20 minutes to fly here. :5769:

Davao to Dumaguete.jpg

Just teasing.  I would not spend 3K on a flight to come have a beer with me either.  Funny enough though, I have friends that have come from much further to visit me.  :hungover_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 3/19/2018 at 2:25 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its the modern era.  Takes 1 hr and 20 minutes to fly here. :5769:

Davao to Dumaguete.jpg

Just teasing.  I would not spend 3K on a flight to come have a beer with me either.  Funny enough though, I have friends that have come from much further to visit me.  :hungover_40_anim_gif:

Are you buying, my new friend? 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Are you buying, my new friend? 

No but I can loan you the money to come visit us, at the usual 5/6 rates :hystery:

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

No but I can loan you the money to come visit us, at the usual 5/6 rates :hystery:

If you did that per annum it is less then Visa 

• Love it 1