Who lives in Tagum City (DavNor)?

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is there someone in this forum living in Tagum City (DavNor)?

I'm currently evaluating this city as a future living place but I'll have some questions to people living there. But first I would like to know who is living there.

Edited by Dr. Shiva
Better title

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Sorry can't give you the answer that your looking for ,I'll be passing through there in a couple of weeks ,I believe it's a progressive city ,with not too many expats 

Michael Perez
Posted
Posted

I've lived here for a few months and have visited here a few times for a couple of months at a time.  It's a nice little city, but small.  What are your questions?  Can't promise I'll know the answers, but I'll give it a go. .

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Michael Perez said:

I've lived here for a few months and have visited here a few times for a couple of months at a time.  It's a nice little city, but small.  What are your questions?  Can't promise I'll know the answers, but I'll give it a go. .

Thanks for the post.

I would like to know 

• If the city is decent for a longer living?
  • The quality of the hospitals there?
  • Available nonsportive activities? Some I found on Google already.
  • Is the night market a good one?
  • Is the quality of the public market good?
  • Is the sport complex be open for everyone?
  • Are other sportive activities like badminton and/or chess and more available?
  • Is it cheaper than Davao? (Primary in the area of real estates and groceries.)
  • Is the beach accessible for free and good and clean enough for taking a swim?
  • Corruption level? Seems to be low in that city.
  • Costs of tricycles and jeepneys in the city?
  • Which areas/subdividions are good for live?
  • Good places for eat and dining
  • If there are locations where expats in the city are meeting themselves.

Thank you for any help.

• Like 1

Michael Perez
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dr. Shiva said:

• If the city is decent for a longer living?

Well, that's pretty subjective.  I plan to live here long term, but that's me.

• The quality of the hospitals there?

I had to spend a couple of weeks at the Bishop Reagan hospital last December.  I had good competent care and the facilities were clean and serviceable, if a bit older.  If you need ultra-modern and shiny, you might want to look at one of the major cities instead.  But I found it fine.

• Available nonsportive activities? Some I found on Google already.

Malls, movies and a fair number of resorts and attractions not too terribly far away.  I'm disabled and am a bit slow getting about, so I tend to restrict my recreation to restaurants and films.

• Is the night market a good one?

Good compared to what?  Not sure how to answer that one.  It's a night market that's typical for a small city of this size, in my experience.

• Is the quality of the public market good?

Again, it's typical, in my experience.

• Is the sport complex be open for everyone?

Disabled here, so no idea. .

• Are other sportive activities like badminton and/or chess and more available?

Again, no idea, sorry.

• Is it cheaper than Davao? (Primary in the area of real estates and groceries.)

Yup.

• Is the beach accessible for free and good and clean enough for taking a swim?

I've only been to Banana Beach, which is a private beach at a resort.  Not a white sand beach, but serviceable.  Not sure about public beaches here.

• Corruption level? Seems to be low in that city.

Quite low for the Philippines, I'm told.

• Costs of tricycles and jeepneys in the city?

No Jeepneys or Taxis, only Trikes (or pedicabs, as the locals call them here) or motorcycles.  Trikes are, I think 35 pesos in town.  But I usually pay 100 pesos to get from a far out subdivision into the town center.

• Which areas/subdividions are good for live?

Apokon and La Filipina are the areas that are experiencing a lot of new development.  But as I don't know if you prefer a more urban or provincial lifestyle, it's hard for me to say what you'd like.

• Good places for eat and dining

There are the usual compliment of chains and stands.  A few restaurant restaurants.  But not a foodie destination, IMO.

• If there are locations where expats in the city are meeting themselves.

Not to my knowledge, but I've not sought that out.  So I'd say definitely maybe.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

If the city is decent for a longer living?

No one knows how long you intend to live :smile:

2 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

If there are locations where expats in the city are meeting themselves.

Possibly but could be lonely arranging a meeting to meet yourself :smile:

Sorry couldn't resist. Jake move over, l need your dog house. :mocking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Michael Perez said:

Whole text

Thanks for the listing.

Tricycles seems to be quite expensive when I compare with Ormoc (Leyte), Dumaguete and other Negros Oriental (Bais, Tanjay and Guihulngan) cities. Probably you have to pay special fare.

EDIT: found an official tricycle fare matrix and saw that the tricycles are cheaper than mentioned. It seems that you was living very far from the downtown area as you did mentioned.

In the case of the public market and the night market I tried to know if these are clean, prices labeled, meat and fish properly cooled and the cooked food are properly cooked or fried. Had once an issue with food poisoning in Dumaguete.

Is there a decent fitness center in Tagum?

Edited by Dr. Shiva
Inserted tricycle fare matrix

Michael Perez
Posted
Posted

I can only say that the conditions are typical of what I've experienced of public markets in the Philippines.  I've never gotten food poisoning here personally, but there's not American or European style food safety regulations, inspections and enforcement, so you're always taking a gamble.  Developing nation and all that.

Personally, I tend to make relationship with the folks who I buy from and then I tend to find out when the food is fresh, so I can buy it then.  They usually steer me towards what's best as well.

Michael Perez
Posted
Posted

Or, you can buy from one of the western-style supermarkets.  More expensive, but the places tend to be more up to what we westerners have come to expect.

I'm not sure the magic 'inexpensive public market with western food safety standards' exists here, but it's impossible to prove a negative.  I'll just say I suspect it's unlikely. .

As for pedicab prices, yes, I do live a good way away from the town center.  Much of the new development is similarly distant.  But there are lots of places to buy or rent that are more centrally located.

And not sure about the fitness centers here.  I do know they exist, but that's about as much as I know. :D

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Forgot to ask which internet services are available in Tagum?