USS Bremerton Visits Subic Bay On Final Tour

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jake said:

Too bad it doesn't appear to have any weapons to protect itself, like a couple of CIWS (close in weapons system):

I suspect that by the time the catamaran type design was modified to be suitable for use in a wider variety of situations you'd end up with something similar to a smaller varient of Austal's Independence class littoral combat ship which Austal have as a design concept already.

https://www.austal.com/ships/austal-multi-role-vessel

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I suspect that by the time the catamaran type design was modified to be suitable for use in a wider variety of situations you'd end up with something similar to a smaller varient of Austal's Independence class littoral combat ship which Austal have as a design concept already.

https://www.austal.com/ships/austal-multi-role-vessel

I didn't realize that AUSTAL AMERICA had its humble beginnings in Australia.  You Aussie were the original designer and builder of our latest LCS class warships.  Gotta love them Aussies!

Speaking of which, I remember making a port visit to Perth, a year after Australian II beat the crap out of Dennis Conner's.  That was the year 1983 when the AMERICA's CUP race down in Fremantle resulted in the Aussie 12 meter boat taking the CUP.  Your secret -- that winged keel that made AUSTRALIA II faster downwind.

Yeah, you guys know fluid dynamics especially catamaran and trimarans slipping through the water.  Well done!

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted
On 3/3/2018 at 12:39 AM, earthdome said:

Any of you guys serve on the Bremerton? 

i served as a civilian nuclear engineer at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard that refueled the Bremerton.  

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jake said:

Yeah, you guys know fluid dynamics especially catamaran and trimarans slipping through the water.  Well done!

Austal certainly were ahead of the game when it came to high speed catamarans and trimarans built in aluminium but the Chinese seem to have either copied (or obtained some other way) a lot of the design technology for these types of craft and they're now producing significant numbers of light vessels using similar hulls to the earlier Austal hulls, the catamaran types more than the trimaran types from memory (but even so a bit of a worry).

2 hours ago, Jake said:

Gotta love them Aussies!

The bulk of the heavy lifting is still done (and will continue to be done) by US forces but with increased defense spending, 2 LHD Amphibious ships, 3 Aegis destroyers, 9 heavy Frigates, 12 submarines and 12 offshore patrol vessels plus support vessels either recently completed or due to be completed during the next decade(ish) we're at least moving the right way for the first time in a long time.

2 hours ago, Jake said:

that winged keel that made AUSTRALIA II faster downwind.

That was quite controversial at the time I remember but these days all sorts of high tech keels and much more are accepted.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Reviving this old topic!  Apparently the commander of the USS Bremerton submarine had a bit too much fun while in port here last March!

US Navy submarine captain relieved of duty and DEMOTED after paying 10 prostitutes to come to his hotel while his vessel was docked in the Philippines

• Captain Travis Zettel lost the confidence to command the attack submarine USS Bremerton and was disciplined following an investigation
  • A sailor tipped off naval chiefs after he was told by Zettel that he 'ordered ten girls to arrive' at their hotel while stationed at Subic Bay in the  Philippines
  • Zettel admitted that he was guilty of paying 'for female accompaniment' 
  • He was reprimanded and reassigned to the staff of another naval submarine

What this article does not tell you is that the only reason he got 10 was because he was out to break the record of 9, set by our own Jake!  I wonder what his wife thinks about all of this?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6585925/US-Navy-submarine-commander-demoted-hiring-TEN-prostitutes.html?fbclid=IwAR24sEU8_z_CAGgX-xBd3NO1I9OEk0L_WiDZ6COqASezOp0cnsn4pyjZj74

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Reviving this old topic!  Apparently the commander of the USS Bremerton submarine had a bit too much fun while in port here last March!

US Navy submarine captain relieved of duty and DEMOTED after paying 10 prostitutes to come to his hotel while his vessel was docked in the Philippines

• Captain Travis Zettel lost the confidence to command the attack submarine USS Bremerton and was disciplined following an investigation
  • A sailor tipped off naval chiefs after he was told by Zettel that he 'ordered ten girls to arrive' at their hotel while stationed at Subic Bay in the  Philippines
  • Zettel admitted that he was guilty of paying 'for female accompaniment' 
  • He was reprimanded and reassigned to the staff of another naval submarine

What this article does not tell you is that the only reason he got 10 was because he was out to break the record of 9, set by our own Jake!  I wonder what his wife thinks about all of this?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6585925/US-Navy-submarine-commander-demoted-hiring-TEN-prostitutes.html?fbclid=IwAR24sEU8_z_CAGgX-xBd3NO1I9OEk0L_WiDZ6COqASezOp0cnsn4pyjZj74

Seems to me he they were a little hard on them him.  Since these submarines work in the dark depths most of the time, maybe the commander just wanted to practice docking his submarine,.... 10 times before going out again.   As you can never practice too much and practice makes perfect, I suspect he was just honing is skills so he could rise to the occasion.  You know, to become your best, you need to be testing your limits and expanding your horizons.  :6:

• Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Seems to me he they were a little hard on them him.  Since these submarines work in the dark depths most of the time, maybe the commander just wanted to practice docking his submarine,.... 10 times before going out again.   As you can never practice too much and practice makes perfect, I suspect he was just honing is skills so he could rise to the occasion.  You know, to become your best, you need to be testing your limits and expanding your horizons.  :6:

It takes a very big dock to practice that much!

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 3/4/2018 at 8:30 AM, Jake said:

I didn't realize that AUSTAL AMERICA had its humble beginnings in Australia.  You Aussie were the original designer and builder of our latest LCS class warships.  Gotta love them Aussies!

Speaking of which, I remember making a port visit to Perth, a year after Australian II beat the crap out of Dennis Conner's.  That was the year 1983 when the AMERICA's CUP race down in Fremantle resulted in the Aussie 12 meter boat taking the CUP.  Your secret -- that winged keel that made AUSTRALIA II faster downwind.

If only the Aussies could learn how to drive on the correct side of the road!:tongue:

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

It takes a very big dock to practice that much!

I wonder what the attention would have been if it was a seaman apprentice that got caught?:89:

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Oh boy, you opened up a can of worms here Don.  There is a little back story to all this which was revealed in another forum I belong to.  My fellow master chiefs (active and retired) and I were shaking our heads that the new navy is maxed out on PC.  No not the drug but something more stupid -- political correctness.  

It was not uncommon to have a little fun during the heydays of Vietnam War.  Olongapo (my hometown) was considered to be one of the premier R & R port visits to blow 3-5 months of pay in just 3 nights.  Whacha gonna do......sailors and marines being sailors and marines (especially those damn Aussies) can really have the best time of their life and yet can only remember a few details.  For example: how you ended up back on the ship, barfing and butt ass naked or like a penguin returning to a massive flock, the smell will guide you and us westpac sailors (western Pacific) have a keen sense of smell finding the companion you had last night.  OR some of us just say....puck it, go for the first one you meet on the 2nd night....he, he.  I think the Australian and the British Navy taught us that!  

USS BREMERTON, an LA fast attack racked up many accolades during her time.  Many of those missions are still classified and in this particular skipper, just like his predecessors before him, he worked his crew hard but played hard too.  This skipper was already buddy-buddy with the mayor of Olongapo and of course, "arrangements" were made to show the crew his appreciation for a job well done.  

Thank god, I'm already retired.  Otherwise I would have been in deep kimchi for my nasty jokes and prankster activities.  I don't miss the navy but I do miss my boys.  These days however, you can never tell what gender that sailor or marine might be.  And the butt hurt sensitivity of those that are offended of the "old school" navy.  

Steady as she goes, all ahead flank, weapons free.  Respectfully Jake   

PS -- respectfully request that Chief Warrant Officer BrettGC, RAN provide more details about his escapades, even the top secret ones......he, he.  

Edited by Jake
spel chek
  • Like 3