How old is too old

patmac
Posted
Posted

Just turned 79yrs , should been there 2yrs ago .Came down with by lateral pneumonia 6 mo and still in recovery . Just working my self of oxygen hope to travel in may .(Question ? )the availability of portable oxygen tanks if needed in Dumaguete area th    Thank,s

Guys

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.

I can’t answer that oxygen tank question but try a google search. Now one important thing to consider is can you safely do without oxygen? Keep in mind often important items may become out of stock or a critical machinery may break down with no spare parts for weeks. Also if you’re expecting reasonably good hospital care or getting to a hospital quickly that is not always the case.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, patmac said:

Just turned 79yrs , should been there 2yrs ago .Came down with by lateral pneumonia 6 mo and still in recovery . Just working my self of oxygen hope to travel in may .(Question ? )the availability of portable oxygen tanks if needed in Dumaguete area th    Thank,s

Guys

Can you use one of those devices that extract oxygen from the air? It can run off battery power in an emergency or when traveling.

Also, if you have breathing/lung issues the air pollution can adversely impact you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, patmac said:

Just working my self of oxygen hope to travel in may .(Question ? )the availability of portable oxygen tanks if needed in Dumaguete area th    Thank,s

If they are available and you decided to travel you may find yourself in a situation. I recall a few years back a resort owner was being rushed to Cebu city hospital but the ambulance ran out of oxygen somewhere on the way. Luck they got to a town and found a welding shop to borrow a cylinder. Not sure now if the patient made it to Cebu but he did die and probably nothing would have changed that but something to think about. 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I second the idea of the portable oxygen concentrator, and unlike oxygen tanks they can be used on board planes (although some types are bulky and may require buying a 2nd seat).  With a concentrator you won't be reliant on a local oxygen tank supplier.

A quick google shows there are suppliers in the Philippines.

https://invamedicalwarehouse.com/product-category/oxygen-support-devices/

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

The OP is certainly not to old to travel here. Further a little lady to accompany and help care him should prove not to be a problem.

Portable oxygen tanks  S steel are  readily available, small tank with hoses all set up in a pouch is P14K, lasts just under 3 hours. Larger steel tanks with 18 hours cost P9k.

So if your current doc clears you come on over and enjoy the 30c plus weather.  Lots of info here on this forum, just use the search button.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

i bought my ex father in law one of those portable oxygen units ,they are not cheap but according to his wife a godsend ,save lugging around the large steel cylinders

• Like 2

softail
Posted
Posted

I have asthma, the last 2 visits have me reconsidering my plans to move to the Philippines. The air pollution has really affected me causing me to cough up lots of nasty phlegm and making me miserable.  When I am in Seattle USA I rarely have any problem, not on oxygen at all.  I have reservations about how someone needing oxygen would fare.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, softail said:

I have asthma, the last 2 visits have me reconsidering my plans to move to the Philippines. The air pollution has really affected me causing me to cough up lots of nasty phlegm and making me miserable.  When I am in Seattle USA I rarely have any problem, not on oxygen at all.  I have reservations about how someone needing oxygen would fare.

Great point!!

There are places out in provinces with clear air but you never know when someone will start burning rubbish plastic or worse.

• Like 2