Am I considered a senior in the Philippines?

softail
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Not old enough, I'd use the line though. Doubt I'd use the discount though, a lot of businesses will be losing money if you pay with that. Doesn't seem fair seeing as we've not paid tax here etc.

It’s my understanding that the government will reinburse the business for the discount they have given you.  That’s what my family told me anyway, I had the same concern.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, softail said:

It’s my understanding that the government will reinburse the business for the discount they have given you.  That’s what my family told me anyway, I had the same concern.

I can not understand this as most of us are not Filipino citizens so why would anyone reimburse someone we are not entitled to? 

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You and I are living proof that "your mileage may vary" in Philippines.  I have been standing behind an American who insisted on calling the manager and making a big loud complaint and STILL did not get the senior discount at McDoos across from Rose Pharmacy and Generika Drugstore downtown.  The manager politely told him it was for filipino citizens only.

Could also be as more expats were availing of the discount they decided to end the voluntary (non citizen) senior discount and you are just more up to date than I am. It has been almost a year since I was there when he ordered.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Many times I am shown to the senior line but never seem to use it, That would make me feel old as well as Look it :whistling:

Jack:smile:

Morning All :photo-109:

softail
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I can not understand this as most of us are not Filipino citizens so why would anyone reimburse someone we are not entitled to? 

I show them my US drivers license and off they go,  was just reporting what I was told

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I don't honestly never seen the sign saying "Senior Citizens" it usually just says Seniors, PWD and Pregnant Women. I would never ask for any discount but I am a Senior and therefore, should I feel the need I see no reason not to use it, especially as we are shown that lane in many cases. Whenever I have been to the Bank this is where the Guard sends me :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I am a Senior and therefore, should I feel the need I see no reason not to use it, especially as we are shown that lane in many cases.

I agree.  If you can use it without causing a stressful encounter then go for it.

I remember, a couple of months ago, trying to use the "Senior's" lane at the grocery store in the new City Mall and there was no one in it.  As I approached, the girl cashier smiled and pointed to the senior's sign with one hand and pointed to the long, busy line with her other hand.  It upset me slightly, but I still do not have a plastic copy of my Philippine driver's license and it would have been stressful to prove that I am over 60 (age for filipinos to qualify as seniors -  it may be lowered to 56 according to this link but I won't hold my breath) so I grit my teeth and went to the long line.

My opinion is that the girl was poorly trained or (vanity here) thought that I did not even look close to age 60. :dreams:

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

As I approached, the girl cashier smiled and pointed to the senior's sign with one hand and pointed to the long, busy line with her other hand. 

Oh, seniors only.  I have not seen that.  Here they say it is a "priority" line for seniors, PWDs, and pregnant.  Anyone can use the line - but be prepared for the priority list to jump ahead of you. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Here they say it is a "priority" line for seniors, PWDs, and pregnant

I stand corrected.  That is what the sign said, but not being a PWD or pregnant I was only referring to the seniors part.

I agree that the clerk should have taken any customer if there were no "priorities" waiting but she was likely new to the job as the store had recently opened at that time.  The only point to my post was to not make a scene if it looks like its going to raise my blood pressure, whether I am in the right or not.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

it is a "priority" line for seniors, PWDs, and pregnant.

WOW seniors and PWD have to be pregnant to use that line. What next :mocking: