marriage in the Philippines

thailend19
Posted
Posted

I plan to marry a filipina(I'm American)and already have a notarized Freedom for Marriage affidavit from the U.S.Embassy. Assuming my fiance has the same documents from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, what other obstacles,including medical tests, waiting period, etc. will we face?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

From memory once you lodge for a marriage licence there is a mandatory 10 day wait. Actually this details all you need to know. https://www.filipiknow.net/how-to-get-married-in-the-philippines/

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The only real wait I remember is the mandatory 10 day wait.  They may want you to go to a seminar, and there may some scheduling for that... but it is all pretty easy here.

BKB
Posted
Posted

Looks like you have it covered, went through the process 3 years ago it took about 13 days total. If your wife is young might have to attend a marriage seminar. If time is a factor make an appointment with the judge to marry you when you apply for the license.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sometimes that 10 day waiting requirement can be adjusted due to special circumstances. :shades:

Edit; If you plead your case to the Barangay official in some cases they will alter the waiting period. What I am not suggesting is to offer a bribe or some other unlawful activity. 

Edited by Old55

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Sometimes that 10 day waiting requirement can be adjusted due to special circumstances. :shades:

Not suggesting anything underhanded just sayin.

Hmm.....you mean in less than 10 days, she's gonna pop a baby?  Is that special circumstances?  

Rather than a "shotgun" wedding, perhaps a more dramatic measure would be like a bolo behind you, held by the father.  

Yeah, "jungle rules" apply here.  Depending on which "jungle" you go through......he, he.  

Edited by Jake
spel chek
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jake said:

.you mean in less than 10 days, she's gonna pop a baby? 

That was my case.The woman at the seminar told us to come back a month later,I asked her to look at my wife and she said come back Wednesday.It was important to me(for various reasons) that we were married before Diana was born.

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Cutting the 10 days short ccould be problematic. When I got married, at the time the UK embassy would use it as a reason from denial for a spouce visa.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

Go to where you will get your marriage license...  Every city has different rules on what they will allow or even do!

• Hmm thinking 2