deportation of foreigners

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

The days when a misbehaving expat can be reported and consequencly deported are over.

I dont think you are 100 %correct. Im sure if a wife reports one for domestic violence he could easily be deported. 

Spoiler

Date: 19 Nov. 2017 (Sun.)

BI to Deport Undesirable American
The Bureau of Immigration (BI) is deporting an overstaying American national
who has been the object of complaints by residents and establishment owners in
Ermita, Manila for being rowdy and always making trouble.
Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente identified the American as 47-year-old
Victor Didenko, who was picked up last Friday along the corner of M.H. Del Pilar and
Salas Streets, Ermita, Manila by operatives of the Bureau’s Fugitive Search Unit.
Morente said Didenko, who is now confined at the BI Detention Facility in Camp
Bagong Diwa, Taguig City will be deported for being “undesirable, overstaying and
undocumented” alien.
“Aside from being a notorious troublemaker, he will be deported for holding an
expired US passport and overstaying his tourist visa,” the BI Chief said.
He added that the American has become a “public charge” or a burden to society
as he had been the perennial subject of complaints by citizens who saw him frequently
roam the streets of Manila and Pasay, begging for money from strangers and engaging
in acts that disturb the peace.
“We cannot allow unruly foreigners like him, who have no means of support, to
stay in our country any longer, lest he becomes primarily dependent on the government
for subsistence,” Morente said.
According to BI-FSU Chief Bobby Raquepo, Didenko was charged last July before
a Manila court with violating a city ordinance for breach of peace in July this year.
The charges were filed after policemen arrested him along Mabini Street, Ermita
for shouting in public at the top of his voice, uttering insulting remarks on Filipinos and
challenging everyone to a fistfight.
“We also heard that he had been begging for alms from passersby on the pretext
that he was robbed of his money and passport,” Raquepo said.
Didenko reportedly last arrived in Manila on September last year and that he had
been overstaying since March when the period of his extended stay as a tourist expired.
The US embassy also confirmed that his passport already expired last Oct. 25, 20 thus making him an undocumented alien.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/images/News/2017_Nov/2017Nov19_BI_to_DeportUndesirableAmerican.pdf

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Didenko, who is now confined at the BI Detention Facility in Camp
Bagong Diwa, Taguig City will be deported for being “undesirable, overstaying and
undocumented” alien.

I have heard many time of people held in Detention Facilities and they are "going to be deported".  I have heard of times when the BI has "forced" a foreigner to leave and get blacklisted and called that deportation.  What I have never heard of is the BI actually paying for a ticket to put someone on a plane and actually get him out of the country so I ask you:  Who will pay for the plane ticket for anyone who is "deported" but has no cash and no passport? 

In Canada it was laughable.  Americans backpackers with little cash have been known to travel all over the country until they run out of money and then turn themselves in to be deported back to the US, on a plane, at the Canadian government's expense .  (This is what was happening in the '90s and I have no info as to whether it still happens.)

Point is, in a country where the cops claim to have no money for gas to get to the scene of a crime, who is gonna pay for the plane ticket of a guy who is here with no money?  I would place my bet on previous "deportees" have bought their own ticket out of here or had their government come and get them as they are "wanted" back home.  But that's just a gut feeling.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have heard many time of people held in Detention Facilities and they are "going to be deported".  I have heard of times when the BI has "forced" a foreigner to leave and get blacklisted and called that deportation.  What I have never heard of is the BI actually paying for a ticket to put someone on a plane and actually get him out of the country so I ask you:  Who will pay for the plane ticket for anyone who is "deported" but has no cash and no passport? 

So are they going to detain them forever? Petrea paid his own ticket as a get out of jail mesure if I recall so many would have done the same thing but anyway l dont think its good advice to say that if you play up then most likely nothing will ever happen. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

if you play up then most likely nothing will ever happen. 

I am not saying nothing will ever happen.  I'm saying you could sit in the Detention Facilites and rot before they would actually deport you.  This is what really happens:

They are detained as long as three to 14 years.

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/foreign-detainees-lament-woes-bi-detention-center-164903273.html

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am not saying nothing will ever happen.  I'm saying you could sit in the Detention Facilites and rot before they would actually deport you.  This is what really happens:

Maybe for the desperate and broke but generally in this topic we are talking about the average tourist whether the he/she has lived here for years on a tourist visa and decides to disrespect Filipinos or break the law. Im sure they can make it a deportation case.

Added

All they need to do is cancel ones visa which creates a huge problem so either way easy to be leaving against one's will.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
  • Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

In Oz if you can't front up with the fare for your return ticket,( deportation, broke no-other means to borrow money,) the government won't let you rot in jail for years, they pay for the ticket and confiscate your passport, you MUST pay the fare back when you get back home. We have the DOLE over here for people that can't find work, ( the government pays a small wage called the DOLE, ) and the price of the ticket is deducted from these fortnightly payments at a set percentage. For those that think they can out maneuver the Government by not going on the DOLE, your name is flagged in the tax department and any tax returns you are hoping to receive at years end, the price of the ticket is deducted out of it until the fare is payed. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind betting other Western countries have similar schemes in place. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont think you are 100 %correct. Im sure if a wife reports one for domestic violence he could easily be deported. 

Reveal hidden contents

I do not believe misbehaving fits into this category. Abusive perhaps fit more.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

we are talking about the average tourist whether the he/she has lived here for years on a tourist visa and decides to disrespect Filipinos or break the law. Im sure they can make it a deportation case.

Well there were 29 Americans "reported" to have been deported last year, and they probably fit your suggested profile.  But you can see from this report that there are not many "average old white guys" deported to first world countries last year.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/639687/phl-deported-over-1-500-foreigners-in-2017-immigration-bureau/story/

Data from the BI legal division show that Chinese nationals topped the list of deportees at 1,248, followed by 115 South Koreans, 33 Indians, 29 Americans, 13 Vietnamese, and 11 Japanese.

With those numbers, I would agree with the TV personalities Jamie and Adam.  As far as loads of US, Canadian, Australian, Brit, etc tourists being deported:  Myth busted.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Geeeze, is this for Real?

Well to be fair, (since this topic is about deportation), he is much more deserving of a Philippine jail cell for life than a deportation to an easy prison life in Aus.  The taxpayers paying the legal bill is a good/bad thing.  If it had turned out that an innocent person had been accused then its a relief to know there is legal aid available but this a**h*le has abused the system his entire adult life, judging by the article and video in the link.

• Thanks 1