deportation of foreigners

Clermont
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Geeeze, is this for Real?

Thanks for that Jack, I knew they funded court cases over seas, my understanding it was only $200 K, must be a typo. Thank god I'm not in charge of who gets what for their legal defense, A ganta of rice to his cell mates is about all I'd pay and another for the banquete at his funeral. :shades:

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

Whether or not a person is guilty is really irrelevant. Under current law in most civilized countries they are entitled to legal defense and presumed innocent until convicted. If they cannot afford it, then they are appointed a public defender by the court. If I read correctly the OZ government has, in a manner of speaking, extended that right to one of its citizens. 

I too think Scully should is guilty and should be given the worst possible punishment imaginable (if he hasn’t already - I haven’t keep up on his case). But when it comes to a legal defense, even for someone who committed monstrous acts, where where do you draw the line? Should a person’s rights be circumvented or denied just because of the nature of their crime? Should only those who can afford legal council be granted a trial? What about the rest of the people? 

And just to keep on topic, I would hope that someone accused of committing an act that could get them deported would have a chance to defend themselves. And not after the fact by appealing to be removed from the blacklist as is stated in the news articles. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

flyboyrd1949
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2018 at 9:04 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Lets remember that new people are forbidden from posting links until they become full members, and if it was read on another forum it should still not be linked to without permission.  It is most likely one of those coffee shop stories based on the newspaper article that it could happen.  Here is the link to that.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/163872/immigration-officer-entry-philippines-foreigner-tourist-barred-rude-disrespect

Edit:  Reading this following news article has me wondering if deporting rude foreigners is to be the new normal

https://negroschronicle.com/city-to-discipline-unruly-foreigners/

Guys, this was on Facebook and was posted by an Australian.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gator said:

But when it comes to a legal defense, even for someone who committed monstrous acts, where where do you draw the line? Should a person’s rights be circumvented or denied just because of the nature of their crime? Should only those who can afford legal council be granted a trial?

I don't think it would be unreasonable to put a cap on legal aid that is payable by the Australian government and hence taxpayer.

Yes it would be unfair to deny a trial but on the other hand legal aid in Australia is under resourced and stretched to it's limits, using such a large amount of money for a single case, and a single case where it appears that the evidence is overwhelmingly supporting a guilty verdict doesn't seem a good use of available funding.

I would suggest rather that Australian Legal Aid should be looking at the details of cases, determining if the case is realistically defensible and if not then using that funding for those cases where the defendant has a realistic chance of a not guilty verdict or where they are going to plead guilty and should be given aid in preparing that guilty plea.  That would maximize the effectiveness of the limited funding.

As for 'only those who can afford legal council'... well that's pretty much the case in most western jurisdictions, how good your defense council (or team) is depends largely upon how much budget you've got for legal costs.  I'm not saying it's ideal, but why should people with indefensible cases get special treatment?

NB I'm trying to make commentary about the issue of payment of legal aid in general, not the horrendous nature of the charges.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, flyboyrd1949 said:

Guys, this was on Facebook and was posted by an Australian.

You are still a new member, so unable to post links, even to Facebook, but there is no reason why you could not take a screenshot of the Australian's post and put it here as a picture.  

We are all curious as to what really happened, but many of us do not believe unsubstantiated news items we see on Facebook.  It is interesting though.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Scully's case was aired on TV over here, the embassy gave him all the help he wanted and more, he was from Olongapo, the suburb of Angeles Pampanga. In the interview he DEMANDED that the Australian Government finance his case and get him back to Australia to face the Australian law for his crime. ( You still face the law here in Australia for these crimes, if you get out of the country before being charged. This law applies to Australians world wide now, )

Now it has been suggested that there are more needy cases than his that needs intervention, I agree, but the man was caught red handed and no doubt of guilt. 

What gets me riled is, we are visitors in their country and for such a horrendous crime he has committed and the PI's having all the evidence at hand to get a conviction, why should another country stick there beak into the PI legal system beyond giving him fair representation in court, is beyond me. The embassy did a good job in my books, making sure he was looked after and feed well, more than I would have done. :angry_80_anim_gif:

I stick by my stance in the earlier post, two ganta's of rice is about all I'd fork out for him. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Clermont said:

Scully's case was aired on TV over here, the embassy gave him all the help he wanted and more, he was from Olongapo, the suburb of Angeles Pampanga.

Why do you say he was in Olongapo?  I have never seen anything about this locally and it would be big news.  I also could not find anything on the web about him being in Olongapo, thank God!

BTW, Olongapo, Zambales, is not a suburb of Angeles, Pampanga.

Clermont
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Why do you say he was in Olongapo?  I have never seen anything about this locally and it would be big news.  I also could not find anything on the web about him being in Olongapo, thank God!

BTW, Olongapo, Zambales, is not a suburb of Angeles, Pampanga.

Splitting hairs doesn't work with me, Olongapo was a suburb of Angeles before it became a city by mayor Dick Gordon. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Splitting hairs doesn't work with me, Olongapo was a suburb of Angeles before it became a city by mayor Dick Gordon. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

You may call it splitting hairs but I get curious about stuff like that and I can't find where Olongapo was ever a suburb of Angeles city.  Can you share more info or links about that.  Its just one of those curious things that is interesting to someone like me.

• Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Clermont said:

My comment was about that poor excuse for a human being Scully.  We have enough problems without attaching his name to our area.

The Olongapo / Angeles comment was just a side note for those members who don't know the geography or history.  

8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You may call it splitting hairs but I get curious about stuff like that and I can't find where Olongapo was ever a suburb of Angeles city.  Can you share more info or links about that.  Its just one of those curious things that is interesting to someone like me.

I will be driving from my home in SBFZ / Olongapo suburb to my doctor in the mother city Angeles this afternoon.  It is 70+ km from here.  Drive time is 1 hour 5 minutes on the expressway going about 110 kph through an area that is rice fields and hilly farms.

• Thanks 1