I thought Rats and Mice were anti-social?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I thought Rats and Mice were anti-social? 

SO! if this is the case, why do some want to live in my house? No matter what we do (and we have tried so many ways) from poison bait to sticky paper and traps we are still  getting them around the garden and just of late  cheeky blighters moving in. Not an epidemic but very frustrating.

Last week we got Rid of what we thought was the last but this morning the helpers got one and 2 more ran under the cabinet. We have done as much as we can to ensure there is nothing about to attract them, Food, Rice etc is all away in sealed containers so I wonder why they come in. Our Weather has been so changeable that I wonder if the Weather has anything to do with things. last month we sealed all ground Areas that they could nest in and have put tin on the Trees to stop them Climbing and living up there. I jokingly said to my Wife, maybe we have driven them indoors now but then I thought, maybe that is  not so far from the truth. They don't venture near the Terrace as the Dogs get them, Clever little blighters.

I am sure this is not just my Problem so G & G's what does everyone else do? 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

We have had luck using peanut butter to bait traps, the mice ignored everything else but we have caught several since we started using it.

• Thanks 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

We have had an ongoing problem with rats getting into the Kitchen and the loft.

The Kitchen i can understand as the doors are open all day

We even had one that got into the tumble dryer and chewed the Filter to Shreds.

But the one in the loft was the biggest problem, our odd job guy went up there and couldnt find where they were getting in but he found that they had almost chewed through the phone and internet cable !

He later found they had been getting in by a gap under the guttering  which he sorted so we thoughso we bought some bait !

But the bait worked as we found a dead rat on the roof of our extension just below the guttering.

So far no sounds of the scurrying feet in the loft !

Or guy is back again this weds to check the loft again  and to do some tree cutting

And also some more building work.

• Like 2

roddavis
Posted
Posted

Rats above the ceiling, we have cats that go up there to kill the rats. Now we have the patter of cat feet chasing the rats up above.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Get 10 or so snakes. Should keep the population down. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Get 10 or so snakes. Should keep the population down. :smile:

:hystery: Yeah! the I get a snake problem :whistling:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Apparently(and this is very cruel) If you catch a rat or mouse in a trap and burn it alive all the other rats/mice in the area will scatter because of it`s screams.I was told this by a dutch merchant seaman who said that this was what they did on the ships and all the rats/mice would jump overboard.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Apparently(and this is very cruel) If you catch a rat or mouse in a trap and burn it alive all the other rats/mice in the area will scatter because of it`s screams.I was told this by a dutch merchant seaman who said that this was what they did on the ships and all the rats/mice would jump overboard.

I just told the Girls to Do That

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Our mice are trained Ninja.

mouse.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Apparently(and this is very cruel) If you catch a rat or mouse in a trap and burn it alive all the other rats/mice in the area will scatter because of it`s screams.

Want to make sure its trapped as I have heard of cases like this that the rat or mouse was able to run off and the house burned down. :smile:

• Like 2