I thought Rats and Mice were anti-social?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Want to make sure its trapped as I have heard of cases like this that the rat or mouse was able to run off and the house burned down. :smile:

We use those sticky glue pads so i have told the girls to swat the thing then take it out to the yard on the concrete douse with some kerosene and light it :Zap: never near the house :wink:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

We use those sticky glue pads so i have told the girls to swat the thing then take it out to the yard on the concrete douse with some kerosene and light it :Zap: never near the house :wink:

You should record the sound and sell it pay for our beer,After a few you wont care about rodents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

You should record the sound and sell it pay for our beer,After a few you wont care about rodents.

Seriously, that is the best idea I've seen in quite a while.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I spent a lot of money on an RV ,motorhome , I keep an eye on it when its laid up and imagine my horror at finding mice dirt in the bottom of a drawer ,I took everything apart , I cleaned it from top to bottom ,my wife had left some dried dog food in the bottom drawer .I found their nest and destroyed it ,then I bought about 20 traps from the garden center just along the road ,I baitied the traps with peanut butter and some with chocolate ,it took about a week but I ended up with 16 dead mice ,I also fitted a sonic device ,the combination of all did the trick

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

I also fitted a sonic device

While these have a psychological calming effect, the rat I caught in my mother's house 2 months ago used to go right up to the dang thing to eat the dog food that she left out for the dog overnight.  She had a number of them in her house but they did not deter the rat.  Sticky paper in the right places, traps and vigilance caught the rat.

In my own houses I have used poison quite a bit, and found it works when used well, but it has the unfortunate side effect of either the vermin dying and rotting inside the house (thus a week of bad smell) or they go outside and get eaten by a dog or cat (thus a sick dog or cat).  Fortunately the dogs and cats are wise enough not to eat the rats after they get sick once, (if they survive).  But it makes them useless as ratters!

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I spent a lot of money on an RV ,motorhome , I keep an eye on it when its laid up and imagine my horror at finding mice dirt in the bottom of a drawer ,I took everything apart , I cleaned it from top to bottom ,my wife had left some dried dog food in the bottom drawer .I found their nest and destroyed it ,then I bought about 20 traps from the garden center just along the road ,I baitied the traps with peanut butter and some with chocolate ,it took about a week but I ended up with 16 dead mice ,I also fitted a sonic device ,the combination of all did the trick

A few years ago I had a similar issue with mine. Trapped and killed them, then cleaned inside with amonia (I also sprayed some into all the compartments as well as the nooks and crannies). Amonia is very effective at cleaning their droppings and eliminating their pheromone trails. I then put some moth balls into the side compartments and around the inside (open all cabinets, closets and drawers). No more issues with rodents and the moth balls are effective for months.

When I’m ready to use my RV I open all my windows, turn roof vent exhaust fans to high, dispose of the moth balls, spray some air freshener (like Frebreze) and let it air out for a few hours. 

Since you have a dog (and for those with kids) I’d suggest putting the moth balls into small plastic containers and punching a few pencil sized holes in the top. 

• Like 5

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Been dealing with rats myself. They discovered a bag of bird seed in the garage and they are making a mess of things! The traps go off but there's never a rat!

Edited by Reboot
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:58: Having taken a couple of pieces of advice we had a result last night, baited with some peanut butter in an area we thought they were holed up, laid some glue pads and one just could not resist so it got caught and then BBQ'd, the other we know not but if Kev's (Sonjack) advice is right, the Other won't be back a while  :whistling: Thank you all for the input, 

Jack:smile:

Morning All :photo-109:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

so it got caught and then BBQ'd,

Which recipe?  Teriyaki?

rat.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Which recipe?  Teriyaki?

rat.jpg

I've heard of Ratatouille but that's the first time I've seen rat-a-threey ;-) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2