Busses, Jeepneys, Tricyclcle,..Oh My

intrepid
Posted
Posted

So it seems it is still much cheaper on one's budget to use public transportation.  However, you can only go when they are available and are at the mercy of their routs and traffic.  I would like the savings but not being available when and where I want and being able to carry larger loads is some of the issues for me.  Also as I mentioned before the head and leg room is almost too small for me and have to ride with my head down and banging into something.  Just not worth it for me.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, intrepid said:

There are times in Manila also.

Yes, I was in Makati for Easter 2 or 3 years ago.  Almost no one on the road.  10 minutes by taxi from the airport to Makati.  No waits for a taxi.  Crazy good.  But that lasted for about 1 day.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
On 3/14/2018 at 10:15 PM, Dr. Shiva said:

And in some areas it is already faster than cars. :hystery::wink: In another forum someone posted that he used one time two and a half hour for just 1.4 km in his car in Manila due extreme traffic congestion. Walking would have been much faster! :whistling:

Because of very terrible traffic I would not like to live in Manila or Cebu. My wife is on the same line. I dunno how the situation in Davao is. Was there last time 9 years ago. 

In Davao, if you aren't driving, the jeepneys really don't have much of an issue.  As for driving or taxis, there's enough alternate routes that it's not too bad.  Maybe an hour in the morning and one at night for the most main routes.

I'm in Toril (furthest town south of and still part of Davao).  Jeepneys to downtown Davao are every 3 or 4 minutes but good luck getting on during rush hour.  In town it's all tricycles.  Rarely do I have a problem getting one.  

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Davao has 24 hour jeepney service.  Same for Toril to Davao.  In Toril itself, there's always tricycles nearby, no matter what time of day.  And there's always the Intercity bus to hop on.  I think they short one run a day with just one instead of two leaving every hour.

• Like 2

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, i am bob said:

In Davao, if you aren't driving, the jeepneys really don't have much of an issue.  As for driving or taxis, there's enough alternate routes that it's not too bad.  Maybe an hour in the morning and one at night for the most main routes.

I'm in Toril (furthest town south of and still part of Davao).  Jeepneys to downtown Davao are every 3 or 4 minutes but good luck getting on during rush hour.  In town it's all tricycles.  Rarely do I have a problem getting one.  

Good to hear that the traffic was not so increasing in the last 9 years in Davao. 

How is the traffic on the other city side (Buhangin)?

On the Toril side Eden is a really nice place to live but only reachable by taxis. The street to go to Eden is quite steep especially for a tricycle.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Good to hear that the traffic was not so increasing in the last 9 years in Davao. 

How is the traffic on the other city side (Buhangin)?

On the Toril side Eden is a really nice place to live but only reachable by taxis. The street to go to Eden is quite steep especially for a tricycle.

Eden is beautiful but then you're out in the country...  No longer in Toril!  More like on the mountain...  Lol!

I just moved a few months ago from Cabantian...  A 25 minute walk to the market in Buhangin...  That was my morning exercise...  From Countryville to the 7-11 by the market...  Hot dog and Coke for breakfast while watching the ladies...  Then the 35 minute walk back up the highway...  I'm not sure what it's like now that the Grand Mall is open (it is open I think) but rush hour really sucked if you don't know the short cuts.  Forget about heading to the malls then...  (Hint: cut from Diversion Rd through to SPMC via NHA and then straight through Agdao to get downtown.  Avoid SM, Abreeza, Victoria Mall, GMall...  Or take Bacaca Rd if you have to go to one of them)  The rest of the time it's ok.  

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, i am bob said:

Hot dog and Coke for breakfast while watching the ladies.

Tut, Tut and you a newly married man and a Father, Sounds like you really have become a native :hystery:

• Haha 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Tut, Tut and you a newly married man and a Father, Sounds like you really have become a native :hystery:

This was just before I met Charmaine...  Lol!

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, i am bob said:

Eden is beautiful but then you're out in the country...  No longer in Toril!  More like on the mountain...  Lol!

I just moved a few months ago from Cabantian...  A 25 minute walk to the market in Buhangin...  That was my morning exercise...  From Countryville to the 7-11 by the market...  Hot dog and Coke for breakfast while watching the ladies...  Then the 35 minute walk back up the highway...  I'm not sure what it's like now that the Grand Mall is open (it is open I think) but rush hour really sucked if you don't know the short cuts.  Forget about heading to the malls then...  (Hint: cut from Diversion Rd through to SPMC via NHA and then straight through Agdao to get downtown.  Avoid SM, Abreeza, Victoria Mall, GMall...  Or take Bacaca Rd if you have to go to one of them)  The rest of the time it's ok.  

Thanks for that info. We'll probably have to rely on public transportation if we will move to Davao. Therefore I'm looking for a place where most important locations can be reached by just one ride and for basic needings we prefer to get that in the vicinity. With the future opening of Grand Gaisano Buhangin, the NCCC Mall Buhangin and the City Mall in Cabantian it would be good for us to live there if we can not find anything in the CBD or direct surrounding. There is another way to get to downtown from Cabantian using the Mamay Rd., the Dacudao Loop and the Bougainvilla St..

Edited by Dr. Shiva

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

We got a truck in January, only spending about 3,000 per month in diesel. Spent about 1,000 per month before on trikes. Still worth it though, we're a little out the way so used to have to wait about 10 minutes for a trike in the boiling sun, no thanks.
Can go wherever we like at weekends now aswell without it always being a hassle having to get to the bus terminal etc.

• Like 2