Jump to content
PaulB

Stage 2 of Relocation to Philippines

Recommended Posts

Dear All

Stage 1 completed when ACR Card done, house built, car bought and business open and now in the process of arranging Stage 2 of relocation which consists of shipping my wife and 2 dogs back to Philippines and I will follow in 12 months or so.

As this is our first time shipping dogs I was going to ask for advice and tips from anyone who may have already done this. We are shipping a big Golden retriever and a Saluki from Abu Dhabi to our house in Isabela.

I am paying for a vet to arrange from our house to Manila and then the wife will collect at airport ,as she is on the same flight, and take home.The flight is overnight so we hope they will sleep. I have the IATA travel crates and the dogs are currently getting used to these as we have put their beds inside so they sleep in them overnight and this is going well. We will add a water dispenser in each crate and freeze this so the water melts gradually, I will also put a T shirt from me and my wife in the crate so they can smell our scent and a couple of toys too to keep occupied. I have also got some puppy pads so if they pee it can get soaked up.

i would appreciate any tips or advice from any of you wise members, that would make the trip less stressful for the dogs.

The funny thing is, as I work for an Airline, my wife ticket is 6000 Peso but the dogs are 180,000 Peso!!!!

The good thing being part of the airline is we can both go back and forward until I retire full time next year.

I look forward to hearing from you.

 

Paul

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Paul, I've shipped service dogs into and out of UAE and many other countries.

Getting them used to the flight crates is the most important thing, if you are able also travel with them confined in the crates in as many varying conditions as you can dream up, in open pick-ups, securely tired down of course, take on drives in heavy traffic, to noisy places, airports are also good if you can get close enough to the aircraft noises. It's all about how noise sensitive the dogs are and how sociable too, if they can be comforted by a human voice it will be easy....[if like some of my early dogs, want to bite the crap out of everyone the whole cargo area grinds to a halt with Arabs scattering everywhere.]

With the dogs in the crates get someone to help you carry the crates onto and off the vehicles. It can be upsetting for the dogs being carried through areas in the airports otherwise.

It always helps to have a sign on the crate stating ''owner on-board'' with the owners name.

The dogs should be used to walking on a leash and being put in and taken out of the crates at anytime in any place. As you are doing sleeping in the crates inside the house is good too.

Feed food that they are used to that form very little stool, like meat...start that long before.

No need to sedate if they are regular pets.

Just make sure, double sure, ALL the health requirements are met wrt vaccinations.

I can't help with the arrival in Manila side unfortunately, usually a pet shipping agent will be able to help. I would appreciate hearing your experiences on arrival.

Feel free to ask me for any further advice.

Terry

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only advice is to avoid United Airlines. They have had issues with regards to pets lately.

On a more serious matter. The Golden Retriever might find the Philippines too humid. We had German Shepherds. To alleviate the heat, my Father purchased slabs of polished marble as cooling pads. They also slept in an air-conditioned room. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

On a more serious matter. The Golden Retriever might find the Philippines too humid.

There are registered breeders here as well as Facebook groups with many members so Golden Retrievers must do just fine here. Same in Australia many parts are humid and every type of dog can still be found. :thumbsup:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My only advice is to avoid United Airlines. They have had issues with regards to pets lately.

On a more serious matter. The Golden Retriever might find the Philippines too humid. We had German Shepherds. To alleviate the heat, my Father purchased slabs of polished marble as cooling pads. They also slept in an air-conditioned room. 

 

 

We have several Golden Retrievers around and lots of German Shepards.  They seem fine here in Subic.  My neighbor across the street is not supposed to, but he lets his Golden Retriever roam around in front of the house.  He doesn't go far and sleeps in the driveway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shipped a lab (iraqi Mountain dog)  on qatar no problem, but on Emirates you land in terminal 3, the dog goes to terminal 1, so a bit of a pain

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WHIPPING BOY said:

Hi Paul, I've shipped service dogs into and out of UAE and many other countries.

Getting them used to the flight crates is the most important thing, if you are able also travel with them confined in the crates in as many varying conditions as you can dream up, in open pick-ups, securely tired down of course, take on drives in heavy traffic, to noisy places, airports are also good if you can get close enough to the aircraft noises. It's all about how noise sensitive the dogs are and how sociable too, if they can be comforted by a human voice it will be easy....[if like some of my early dogs, want to bite the crap out of everyone the whole cargo area grinds to a halt with Arabs scattering everywhere.]

With the dogs in the crates get someone to help you carry the crates onto and off the vehicles. It can be upsetting for the dogs being carried through areas in the airports otherwise.

It always helps to have a sign on the crate stating ''owner on-board'' with the owners name.

The dogs should be used to walking on a leash and being put in and taken out of the crates at anytime in any place. As you are doing sleeping in the crates inside the house is good too.

Feed food that they are used to that form very little stool, like meat...start that long before.

No need to sedate if they are regular pets.

Just make sure, double sure, ALL the health requirements are met wrt vaccinations.

I can't help with the arrival in Manila side unfortunately, usually a pet shipping agent will be able to help. I would appreciate hearing your experiences on arrival.

Feel free to ask me for any further advice.

Terry

Terry

 

Great advice talk you. I will definitely let you know how it goes.

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mick said:

I shipped a lab (iraqi Mountain dog)  on qatar no problem, but on Emirates you land in terminal 3, the dog goes to terminal 1, so a bit of a pain

Mick

 

Thank you. I work for Etihad Airways and they will fly on one of our flights to T1. Thank goodness!

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My only advice is to avoid United Airlines. They have had issues with regards to pets lately.

On a more serious matter. The Golden Retriever might find the Philippines too humid. We had German Shepherds. To alleviate the heat, my Father purchased slabs of polished marble as cooling pads. They also slept in an air-conditioned room. 

 

 

JJ

Thanks for that. We have lived in the UAE for 10 years and dogs have been here all their life. It does get very hot and humid here too. We have two great cooling jackets that also help.

Paul

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PaulB said:

Thank you. I work for Etihad Airways and they will fly on one of our flights to T1. Thank goodness!

Excellent airlines. We have Filipino friends who use Etihad business class when visiting the United States even if the flights are longer. My preference is still Philippine Airlines because they have the shortest, direct flight to Manila from the West Coast. Quality of PR service is so, so.  The only redeeming feature is they serve "Arroz Caldo" anytime you want this comfort food during the flight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×