Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted

We are starting paperwork for my wife's US citizenship naturalization process.  She raised a point the other day which I had not thought of.  If she gets her US citizenship, we will both be US citizens retired in the Philippines, meaning we would not have the benefits of either having Philippines citizenship, as in for buying real estate.  But we want the benefits of US citizenship, such as the freedom an American passport brings you.  Is dual citizenship practiced?  I know the US frowns on it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

You can live in the Philippines after your wife becomes a US citizen under the Balikbayan program, assuming she was born in the Philippines.  If the return is permanent, there is a visa program offered by the Philippine Retirement Authority addressing this issue (i.e., no bank deposit required, reduced professing fee, etc.). You can also bring in a car and household effects, up to a certain value, on a duty free basis.

Land ownership is also permitted, but the the size for a residential plot and/or agricultural land is limited. 

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

You can also bring in a car and household effects, up to a certain value, on a duty free basis.

I knew about being able to bring household effects, up to a cap, but I did not know about allowing a car.

KC813
Posted
Posted

Both the US and Philippines recognize dual (even multiple) citizenships.

Since 2003, if a Filipino becomes a naturalized US Citizen, they can retain their filipino citizenship by applying with the Ph consul with jurisdiction over where they live. 

Since your profile says Washington, here is the link to the DC embassy’s page on retaining Ph citizenship.

http://www.philippinesusa.info/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/faq-dc/#dual

Retaining her Ph citizenship has absolutely no effect on her US citizenship.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The US doesn’t frown on dual citizenship.

My wife and many of our friends are also dual US Philippines citizens. Although we don’t plan on living in Cebu full time it works for us.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

My

1 hour ago, MacBubba said:

I knew about being able to bring household effects, up to a cap, but I did not know about allowing a car.

Rules change so you need to check for the latest information.  Household effects is broadly defined.  If your hobby is carpentry, you can bring all kinds of tools.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Maxheadspace said:

Is dual citizenship practiced?  I know the US frowns on it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Your wife can become a USA citizen and then "reacquire" her Filipino citizenship.  She can do the re-acquisition in the USA or here in the Philippines.  She will then be a dual citizen and have the full benefits/rights of both countries.  Curious as to your comment on the US frowning on dual citizenship.  :89:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, KC813 said:

Both the US and Philippines recognize dual (even multiple) citizenships.

3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Land ownership is also permitted, but the the size for a residential plot and/or agricultural land is limited.

Both these answers are great!.  @Maxheadspace you need not worry as a "former filipina" can still own a limited amount of land or a house in Phippines without dual citizenship (as JJ says)  OR she can regain her Philippine citizenship and have no limits (as KC says)

So she has the best of both worlds and you get the benefits of being with her :goodluck_80_anim_gif:

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

A person born in the US must renounce his citizenship to take the citizenship of another country.  

A foreign national must swear allegiance to US to become citizen.    

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gerald Glatt said:

A person born in the US must renounce his citizenship to take the citizenship of another country.  

A foreign national must swear allegiance to US to become citizen.    

The statement is correct.  Someone born in the United States has to renounce their US citizenship to become a citizen of another country.  Once a foreign born person becomes naturalized as a citizen, the US government only recognizes their allegiance to the United States.  However, outside of the United States, you can have a 2nd or more passports.  We have close friends whose three children carry four passports. 

• Like 2