Bbq time

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jeff R Us said:

So sorry. Can't figure out how to edit or delete

No problem.  That's why I fixed the second link for you.  It was a simple thing but there are time limits to edit your post and, as a moderator, I can adjust your post after the time limits.  All fixed now.

We are still not sure why you included that first link, http://www.memphisinmay.org/  was that a mistake or ??

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jeff R Us said:
23 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I find Philippine barbecue better than American. The Western version is to drown the ribs in sauce and continue adding more during the cooking process. You no longer can taste the meat, only the sauce. 

OMG! I sincerely regret having to inform you that you have never tasted traditional authentic American BBQ. What is considered BBQ here in the Philippines is not BBQ. It is simply grilled meat that is marinated and/or slathered with an overly sweet sauce. Authentic BBQ is never grilled. It is smoked using various hard woods such as hickory, mesquite, oak, apple, etc. at a very low temperature for several hours. (minimum 16hrs - ideally 22hrs) Properly smoked meat, while basted in a sauce, never needs sauce added when partaking in such an epicurean experience. True BBQ aficionados will never put sauce on their BBQ as you have accurately stated that it ruins the taste of the meat. Most BBQ even in the US is not properly smoked. Therefore, most people will drown the meat in sauce. Check out the links below:

http://www.memphisinmay.org/

www.jackdanielsbarbecuemedia.com/

My understanding, based on watching a PBS program, is American barbecue originates from Blacks purchasing cheaper and tougher cuts of meat. It required marinating for a long time to breakdown the muscles. Then it was smoked. For big events like a wedding, a whole pig was smoked. It was fully opened and laid flat over the charcoals. The drippings created the smoke and smoke flavor.

For home barbecue, I buy an entire slab of pork ribs.  The marinate is vinegar and lemon, followed by a salt & pepper rub.  It is oven cooked in low heat until the meat begins to separate from the bones.  The dipping sauce is Japanese sushi vinegar (milder than Filipino coconut vinegar) and chili pepper. A little sugar is added to the sauce mix. This sauce helps to cut the taste of oil.

We have traveled throughout the South stopping at barbecue joints.  Perhaps the process has changed, but nearly everyone adds too much sauce.  We are headed next to Texas and my plan is to give it another try.  What I am looking forward during this next trip is going to Louisiana for crayfish.  My normal order is 5 pounds and eating in the local style (also Filipino) by sucking the heads. Also heading to the Gulf Coast for fishing with friends.  Our friends reside in Port O'Conner and they know the sources for fresh shrimps and oysters.  The boats dock next to the shucking oyster factories to unload their cargo.  

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My understanding, based on watching a PBS program, is American barbecue originates from Blacks purchasing cheaper and tougher cuts of meat. It required marinating for a long time to breakdown the muscles. Then it was smoked. For big events like a wedding, a whole pig was smoked. It was fully opened and laid flat over the charcoals. The drippings created the smoke and smoke flavor.

For home barbecue, I buy an entire slab of pork ribs.  The marinate is vinegar and lemon, followed by a salt & pepper rub.  It is oven cooked in low heat until the meat begins to separate from the bones.  The dipping sauce is Japanese sushi vinegar (milder than Filipino coconut vinegar) and chili pepper. A little sugar is added to the sauce mix. This sauce helps to cut the taste of oil.

We have traveled throughout the South stopping at barbecue joints.  Perhaps the process has changed, but nearly everyone adds too much sauce.  We are headed next to Texas and my plan is to give it another try.  What I am looking forward during this next trip is going to Louisiana for crayfish.  My normal order is 5 pounds and eating in the local style (also Filipino) by sucking the heads. Also heading to the Gulf Coast for fishing with friends.  Our friends reside in Port O'Conner and they know the sources for fresh shrimps and oysters.  The boats dock next to the shucking oyster factories to unload their cargo.  

I prefer dry rubbed low temp 2=212 degrees ribs wood chip moistened and thrown in about an hour before end.  JJ look-up Yucatan shrimp, the sauce is amazing,  try it you can thank me after. 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

JJ look-up Yucatan shrimp, the sauce is amazing,  try it you can thank me after. 

Thanks. I will give it a try.

• Like 1

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

still not sure why you included that first link, http://www.memphisinmay.org/  was that a mistake or ??

Memphis in may and the Jack Daniels Invitational are two of the most prestigious BBQ competitions in the world. I thought if JJReyes was in the areas during the festivals he would be able to try some of the best BBQ by the best BBQ pit masters.  Also, one is able to find the previous champions that are located around the country. So you could also stop in at one of their locations to sample some top quality BBQ. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1