Residency

Mick
Posted
Posted

Once married in the Philippines, how long as an average to get your residency? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Mick said:

Once married in the Philippines, how long as an average to get your residency? 

For the 13A marriage visa, first you have to apply for and get a temporary visa for 1 year.  Then you reapply for the permanent one about 2 months before the temporary expires.  So at least a bit over a year before you can be permanent.

How long each part of the process takes will depend on where you apply.  The main BI in Manila is the fastest.  Others take longer as they have to shuttle paperwork back and forth to Manila.

I just got my permanent last week.

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

For the 13A marriage visa, first you have to apply for and get a temporary visa for 1 year.  Then you reapply for the permanent one about 2 months before the temporary expires.  So at least a bit over a year before you can be permanent.

Is the temporary Visa multiple entry and exit?

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Is the temporary Visa multiple entry and exit?

It is not supposed to be as you are applying for residency and if you are flying off all the time you are hardly a resident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Mick said:

how long as an average to get your residency?

Unless you bring your clearance from your home country (in the states it is the FBI) you must live here for 6 month in order to get you NBI clearance, after that it takes 2-3 month (during which time you can not leave the PI). As said before you will have temporary 1 year residency, renewable to 5 year permanent, now this was my experience, others might have had different.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

Unless you bring your clearance from your home country (in the states it is the FBI) you must live here for 6 month in order to get you NBI clearance, after that it takes 2-3 month (during which time you can not leave the PI). As said before you will have temporary 1 year residency, renewable to 5 year permanent, now this was my experience, others might have had different.

Good point on the NBI.  I didn't factor that in because it didn't really impact me.  It might take some time to get your NBI clearance, dependent on your personal situation.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

It is not supposed to be as you are applying for residency and if you are flying off all the time you are hardly a resident.

I don't think it is an issue to travel after you get your temporary visa.  They realize that residents travel.  Based on my recent experience, the only time that might come up is when you do your interview with the attorney to get your permanent visa.  He will probably flip through your passport and if you have some travel, he might ask about it.

We went to the U.S. for a month, but the attorney did not ask about it.

A bigger pain is that as a resident, you will have to pay travel taxes when you go out!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1