A caution about plastic car and motorcycle covers

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Any help young man?

I'll check them out.  Thanks.  Worse thing can happen is I wreck the part.  Oops, its already wrecked. :whistling:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I still thank you for the idea, JGF.  I know you meant well and it seemed like a wonderful idea to me too. (EDIT:  more precisely, any attempt to remove the unwanted plastic cover results in the removal of paint and bits of the part itself).   But for anyone else trying that, perhaps try the opposite, take the part off the bike and put it in the freezer and then try to remove the plastic bits

That was going to be my second piece of advice :smile:

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I find with the bike cover I bought that it turns to tissue paper in the sun after one month. I'm going to buy duct tape next time and strengthen the cover by putting criss cross bands of tape over it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I find with the bike cover I bought that it turns to tissue paper in the sun after one month. I'm going to buy duct tape next time and strengthen the cover by putting criss cross bands of tape over it. 

Hmmm couldn't you wrap it around your waist and use it in the crapper.

:boohoo:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Hmmm couldn't you wrap it around your waist and use it in the crapper.

:boohoo:

I'd be worried my finger went through it. 

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy79 said:

I'd be worried my finger went through it. 

That is how you clean your finger after.......remember to save the small flap your finger mage to clean your nail

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm going to buy duct tape next time and strengthen the cover by putting criss cross bands of tape over it. 

I've been thinking of buying an old bed sheet at an Ukay Ukay store and putting it under the cover next time.  Haven't got the details worked out but seems like it should work, so long as I don't put it on the hot exhaust pipe right after parking it. :shock_40_anim_gif:

• 1 month later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 3/28/2018 at 1:33 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I've been thinking of buying an old bed sheet at an Ukay Ukay store and putting it under the cover next time.  Haven't got the details worked out but seems like it should work, so long as I don't put it on the hot exhaust pipe right after parking it. :shock_40_anim_gif:

never seen tarpaulin melt under the sun and plenty do use it here. Try that. 

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 3/27/2018 at 9:27 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can probably touch it up myself if I had some "model airplane paint" like I used to use as a kid, but I have not done that in half a century so I would not even know where to start looking for that kind of paint.  Any clues?

Hi Dave 

I'm currently  at th mCN event at Peterborough  , try getting your hands on an Oxford  bike cover ,I've. Never had a problem with them

To paint the bike firstly you will need it's paint code,  or find a spray paintnshop with a spectrum analyser,  that will get you the colour 

If it's a metallic or pearl forget tabbing it in , it's got to be sprayed ,if it's down to the metal you will need primer 

You will also need the right kind of paint  ,i.e water base 

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted

I'm curious OP,  Did your cover have some type of fabric lining on the underside to isolate the plastic from the car?  The one I bought at Handyman does. No problem with mine.

• Like 1