Freedom To Marry - Irish form of Cenomar

Saint Pat
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Am sure this topic has been covered before but can't find it.

In Ireland you apply for your Freedom to Marry online and it's a pretty straight forward process.

However there is a snag.

On the application form they ask for the date of your proposed marriage, whose officiating over it, the address and place where the ceremony is to take place and the address of where the marriage will be civilly registered.

My g/f in the Philippines has got information from friends that I need to be present to arrange that date but have to present my Freedom of Marriage as part of the documentation requirements.

The snag is I can't get my Freedom to Marry unless I include the above information in my application.

I have asked her to check this out further and she is going the the local municipal hall to get clarification of this matter.

In the meantime does anyone know if this is true about me having to be there to agree a wedding date, has anyone on here come across this problem before, or any further advice.

Thanks again folks,

Pat

Edited by Jollygoodfellow

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I can not say what the Irish laws are but if I was you I would just make up the date remembering its 10 days I guess cool off period before a licence is granted here once applied for.  As for the rest I think pretty much the same if you have not worked that out yet.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

If you can do it online for [some country], the Philippines does have internet and some form of international express mail should serve for hard copy.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

You should check if they require it certified in any way.When I was going through the process I could have got the freedom to marry in the UK but it would not be accepted over here.You had to get it certified by the British embassy,so save yourself some aggro and check before you come.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Saint Pat said:

My g/f in the Philippines has got information from friends that I need to be present to arrange that date but have to present my Freedom of Marriage as part of the documentation requirements.

In some cases you do have to go to a marriage seminar before they will give you a marriage permit.  So the date cannot be before you do all that.  I found that everything was fine if I set up a date that was 6 months after I began doing all the paperwork.  It would have worked great but it worked even better because it gave me time to change my mind :56da64b0e8139_36_1_471: Whew.

But seriously, it takes time to do all the paperwork so pick a date 6 months down the road and you'll have an easy go of it.  Rushing things does not work well with Philippine bureaucracy. 

• Like 2

Saint Pat
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave.

Saint Pat
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

You should check if they require it certified in any way.When I was going through the process I could have got the freedom to marry in the UK but it would not be accepted over here.You had to get it certified by the British embassy,so save yourself some aggro and check before you come.

Thank you. I can apply for Freedom to Marry in Ireland and then go to ( some nationality ) Consulate in Manila later to have it certified. That part is ok.

But to get the Freedom to Marry certificate here in Ireland I need to answer a question on the application form which asks for the date of marriage.

The confusion I have is whether my g/f can get a date of marriage without me being present so I can put that date into my application form.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Saint Pat said:

The confusion I have is whether my g/f can get a date of marriage without me being present so I can put that date into my application form.

Unfortunately you cannot get a date for any marriage until the Registrar has issued the license, it only lasts for 90 days. it is a bug bear I know but we are where we are. I had a similar issue some 10 years ago. I see know reason why you should put an actual date as all you are asking for is permission to marry

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Things may have changed since I married but it was the case at the time that if you arrived with you cert of marriage you got the Philippines paperwork straight away from tbe embassy but if you applied in the Philippines you had to wait something like 60 days for it to be issued.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gary D said:

if you applied in the Philippines you had to wait something like 60 days for it to be issued.

It took 1 month when I applied in Cebu city.