New coins

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

1 Sentsimo coins?  WTF?  How stupid is that?  I thought the 5 centavo coins with the hole were useless.  This is worse. 

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

1 Sentsimo coins?  WTF?  How stupid is that?  I thought the 5 centavo coins with the hole were useless.  This is worse. 

They make decent washers, in a pinch.

2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

New coins to be released. A little bland ? 

coins.jpg

I was pretty derisive of the complaints about the new P5 coins looking too similar to the P1 coins (both are silver and close in size) until I held them both in my hand. The complaints are justified. It's far too easy to give a P5 for a P1. If all of the coins are going to be silver, there's going to be trouble, I think.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My wife usually does not complain much... but these were too much for her.  She says they look too much alike, so you have to pay way more attention to not only what you pay, but your change as well.  Her biggest complaint is that is just a huge waste of tax money.  She makes good points :tiphat:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

The complaints are justified. It's far too easy to give a P5 for a P1. If all of the coins are going to be silver, there's going to be trouble, I think.

And look at the back of the 1, 10 and 25 centavo!  Exactly the same!

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

New coins to be released

I am not sure where they got that pic from.  According to a different news release there will not be a 10 sentimo coin and there will still be a 5 sentimo coin

Currency-coin-series_2018_03_26_16_46_17.jpg

Here is the article

And in it they say:

The 10-centavo coin was dropped, while the 1-centavo coin was added to the NGC coin Series.

“The law says that the 1-piso is composed of 100 1-sentimo. You cannot have 1-piso unless you have 1 centavo so you have to produce the 1 centavo,” Guinigundo said.  Guinigundo urged the public to look closely at the coins and feel the ridges to be able to distinguish one from another.

Now that is sheer idiocy.  Canadians kept the dollar and dropped the penny with no ill effects.  Philippines has operated for years without a 1 centavo coin.  No-one has any use for a coin less than 25 centavos and very little use for those.

Its bureaucratic nonsense but it will likely happen as planned.  They like bureaucratic nonsense in Philippines.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Philippines has operated for years without a 1 centavo coin

Really then why do I have a jar of them? 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Really then why do I have a jar of them? 

So its YOUR fault.  That's why I have never seen one.  You hoard them all.

EDIT:  Having never seen a 1 centavo coin, and reading where the article says: "The 10-centavo coin was dropped, while the 1-centavo coin was added" I naturally assumed they do not have a current issue of 1 centavo coins.  Next time I will check your jar of coins before saying there are none.

Question:  What the heck are you gonna do with all them 1 centavo coins?  Even the beggars wouldn't want them.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What the heck are you gonna do with all them 1 centavo coins?

I keep all the coins below 1 peso in a jar also and then once a year I go to our local credit union and fill those donation cans with them. I wonder if they have the ole coin rolls :hystery:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, scott h said:

I keep all the coins below 1 peso in a jar also and then once a year I go to our local credit union and fill those donation cans with them. I wonder if they have the ole coin rolls :hystery:

I Tend to think that much of this has to do with the fairly new law that demanded exact change BUT I have not lately seen where things cost an amount that includes change down to a 1 centavo coin apart from maybe a Tricycle driver

• Like 1