Toronto Filipinos line up to taste Jollibee's

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Must be special to some. I wonder if they use the miniature height table in resturaunts outside of the Peens. 

Toronto fried chicken fans camp out overnight for taste of Filipino favourite
'It's very big in the Philippines. And opening this in Toronto, it's a huge thing,' said one customer

Thousands of new restaurants open each year in the GTA. Few of them have customers camped outside for 17 hours to get a taste as soon as doors open.

But wind, rain and icy temperatures weren't enough to keep people away from the Toronto opening of Jollibee, a favourite of devoted Filipino fans around the world. 

In the Philippines, Jollibee is more of a national institution than a chicken joint.

"Since I was a child, I loved Jollibee," said Evelene Isanan, who lined up with friends on Easter Sunday morning at the Scarborough location. There's another opening planned for Mississauga. The only other city in Canada where you can order the fried chicken, mango peach pie or "Jolly Spaghetti" is Winnipeg, home to two Jollibee restaurants. 

More http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/jollibee-opening-toronto-chicken-philippines-1.4601538

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Thousands of new restaurants open each year in the GTA. Few of them have customers camped outside for 17 hours to get a taste as soon as doors open.

They might not practice, giving of Easter eggs in Toronto, no other explanation, !!!. :hystery: 

51 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I swear their taste-buds are destroyed by dried fish at an early age.

That's a bit harsh, Dave.  :hystery:

• Haha 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It is awesome that the Filipino community would pass on the great International restaurants that Toronto has to offer to line up for Jollibee.  I swear their taste-buds are destroyed by dried fish at an early age.

This same subject crossed my mind recently. Ate at a calanderi not so far from home. Tanola or fish soup, honestly tasted like a bowl of salted water with some white tasteless stuff inside. The cost was P65 so guess more the middle range for this type of place.

My  question was what kind of taste if any do these people have?  And no was not connected to my current sickness.

• Haha 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I like Jollibees love the friendly happy smiling staff, and the champ burger is worth waitng for !

Where i live in Los Banos there are 4 Jollibees and its very rare to see any Jollibee empty !

Yes i know its cheap and cheerful but i think the image says it all

images.jpg

• Haha 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted

A little off topic but does anyone know of a good filipino resto in the GTA? 

• Hmm thinking 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I like a lot of different food, some of which is made at Jollibee. The palabok is pretty good as is the fried chicken. I can take or leave the burgers, though I eat the Burger Steak fairly often when I visit. Chow King has pretty good fried chicken as well. What I find very odd is the differences in the food, especially the quality of the chicken portions, from store to store.

I think these people were both lining up for the food and the memories of home. I stopped eating McDonald's food for years when i was in the states. But now I get a hankering for it that I have to satisfy. I guess the taste reminds me of home...

• Love it 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

We went to Jollibee here in Florida and one around Chicago both were Okay but cost much more than there. Even more than Mac D and other fast food here.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

When McDonald's opened their first location in the Philippines (downtown Manila at the university belt), there were bus loads from then Clark Air Base and Subic Bay for American military personnel and their families.  Everyone brought home bags for friends who couldn't make the trip.

McGeorge Corp. (George Yang), the franchisee, was afraid his newly trained employees couldn't handle the influx of customers. So they flew-in an entire crew from Hong Kong for the first week.

Saw a Jollibee while driving through Phoenix.  I was tempted to stop, but my wife said, "No." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 4/2/2018 at 6:49 PM, expatuk2014 said:

I like Jollibees love the friendly happy smiling staff, and the champ burger is worth waitng for !

Where i live in Los Banos there are 4 Jollibees and its very rare to see any Jollibee empty !

Yes i know its cheap and cheerful but i think the image says it all

images.jpg

Rant warning:

I see why that sign in the pic may be true.  I stopped in Toledo, Cebu yesterday for breakfast at McDonalds.  They were "out of stock" of EVERYTHING I like to eat there, right up to and including a cup of coffee.  Went next door to Jollibee and got a bacon and egg pancake sandwich (weird and sweet but tasty and good) plus my coffee, plus breakfast for my lady (exactly what she wanted as she only eats at McD's because I like it) and the whole bill was 156 pesos.  It would have been double that for what I would have ordered for the 2 of us a McD's if they had stock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1