Type 1 diabetics

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Hi  guys

My buddy is a type 1 diabetic and his question is ,how do you deal with the situation in the Phil's, he's hoping that there is a way to have his meds sent out from the UK as our NHS supplies it free,

Anyone had to get over this particular hurdle ?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had a buddy, now passed on, who had a lot of expensive meds sent to him via PhilPost.  He was on a low budget so had to take the risk because he got them for free in the US and would have had to pay in Phils.  Only once did the meds ever go missing (not sure if they ever turned up).  On average he said it would take about 3 weeks from the time his daughter mailed them in the USA until the time they were available for pickup at the post office in Dumaguete.  He did this for years.  Your mileage may vary.  My personal experience with the PhilPost has been OK.  A few minor problems because they can be obtuse at times, but just keep a month supply on hand in case of a problem with the mails and everything "should" work.

EDIT:  Dr Google says that insulin should be refrigerated but "should be ok" at room temperature for up to 28 days.  Does he want to take the risk sending temperature sensitive meds in the mail?  Insulin is available here and I would buy it here in an air conditioned pharmacy if it was me.  The non-temp-sensitive stuff should be good in the mail.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

My wife is a diabetic and she was told by the Hostpital pharmacy where she worked that she could not have medicines sent by the NHS to the Philippines,we have to buy her insulin and tablets here.

Unless things have changed

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

The NHS will only give you 1 month in advance and then it will stop if you are out of the country. You could get a relative to pick it up and post but I think that will only work shorterm until they call you in to check your meds. So probably 1 year max. Insulin is readily available in the Philippines but I believe it expensive.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Gary D said:

The NHS will only give you 1 month in advance and then it will stop if you are out of the country. You could get a relative to pick it up and post but I think that will only work shorterm until they call you in to check your meds. So probably 1 year max. Insulin is readily available in the Philippines but I believe it expensive.

My NHS doctors surgery in the UK will give me three months supply so when I am returning to Phils I take three months with me. Insulin is temperature sensitive so I would not risk  sending it by mail. Insulin is readily available in the Philippines and if bought at pharmacies is expensive. There is an 'Insulin Access Programme - IAP' available in the Philippines which makes insulin available at very affordable prices. 

I use the Kwik Pens for my type 2 diabetes which are very convenient. A box of five pens of 3ml insulin (100IU/ml) costs around 3600php in the likes of Mercury. However my local IAP only supplies the vials of insulin for which you have to use the old traditional syringes. Not so convenient but much cheaper.

Ken

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

My NHS doctors surgery in the UK will give me three months supply so when I am returning to Phils I take three months with me. Insulin is temperature sensitive so I would not risk  sending it by mail. Insulin is readily available in the Philippines and if bought at pharmacies is expensive. There is an 'Insulin Access Programme - IAP' available in the Philippines which makes insulin available at very affordable prices. 

I use the Kwik Pens for my type 2 diabetes which are very convenient. A box of five pens of 3ml insulin (100IU/ml) costs around 3600php in the likes of Mercury. However my local IAP only supplies the vials of insulin for which you have to use the old traditional syringes. Not so convenient but much cheaper.

Ken

I thought it was 3 months but when I asked about 6 weeks ago I was told the most you can have is 1 month.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

He was on a low budget so had to take the risk because he got them for free in the US and would have had to pay in Phils.

After reading the other comments on here I wonder how old Lou did it in the US.  My guess is he did not mention that he would be "visiting" Philippines and just had his daughter pick up the pills and mail them to him.  Since he has passed on I cannot ask, and maybe he would have played that close to the vest anyway.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Gary D said:

I thought it was 3 months but when I asked about 6 weeks ago I was told the most you can have is 1 month.

The NHS are cutting back on prescription handouts, however it has been standard practice that anyone planning to be out of the country for more than 3 months are suppose to inform their Doctor, before leaving the country.

If you retain a property in UK, I guess unofficially one could argue that you are still resident, " but the times they are a changin"........ Bob Dylan

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

The NHS are cutting back on prescription handouts, however it has been standard practice that anyone planning to be out of the country for more than 3 months are suppose to inform their Doctor, before leaving the country.

If you retain a property in UK, I guess unofficially one could argue that you are still resident, " but the times they are a changin"........ Bob Dylan

That's so they can sign you off their books, you then need to find a new doctor if and when you return.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1