Long Flights

Gary D
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Lou49 said:

I flew Cathay March 4 Cebu to HK, then HK to Vancouver. I had power bank in my fanny pack, no problems at all. I did however get my bic lighter confiscated by security at Cebu check in but I bought another one when i got inside the terminal.

They didn't check for them, it was stated on their website.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

To minimize dehydration while flying, one recommendation is to wear a face mask similar to the one you see Chinese and Japanese wear when they have a cold. The reason is moisture as you breath in and out. Never tried it myself.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

To minimize dehydration while flying

Or just drink lots of water.  Its the healthy thing to do.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 4/4/2018 at 7:38 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Or just drink lots of water.  Its the healthy thing to do.

Many water tanks on airlines are contaminated, or so I've read

jrlee183
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

I think most airlines use bottled water nowadays to serve to passengers.

Ive always felt most long haul flights are a bit stingy when it comes to giving out water and fluids.  Sure, you get served at mealtimes with a small cup (about 150ml) of water or juice (and maybe something stronger) and a couple of rounds of mid flight service but that is no way near enough fluid for a long haul 12-14 hour flight.   Of course you can ask for more, but i have seen some less seasoned travelers feel uncomfortable about asking or totally unaware that you can.

In business/first class you are usually given a 330ml bottle on overnight flights which they will gladly replace at any time.  The service you get largely depends on the crew. 

I always used to take on a 2l bottle with me for long haul flights but that is not always possible nowadays due to LAGs restrictions.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I was surprised that I did not feel cramped up on my recent PAL flight in an Airbus to and from manila , I always try to leave myself feeling tired prior to a long flight ,I had started work at 5 am that morning and by the time I got too the flight I had been on the go for 17 hours ,I ate a mcd,s before the flight and then had that excuse for food on the plane before nodding off for a few hours then cat napping for most of the flight ,i watched one movie and had a book in reserve ,

Gary D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, jrlee183 said:

I think most airlines use bottled water nowadays to serve to passengers.

Ive always felt most long haul flights are a bit stingy when it comes to giving out water and fluids.  Sure, you get served at mealtimes with a small cup (about 150ml) of water or juice (and maybe something stronger) and a couple of rounds of mid flight service but that is no way near enough fluid for a long haul 12-14 hour flight.   Of course you can ask for more, but i have seen some less seasoned travelers feel uncomfortable about asking or totally unaware that you can.

In business/first class you are usually given a 330ml bottle on overnight flights which they will gladly replace at any time.  The service you get largely depends on the crew. 

I always used to take on a 2l bottle with me for long haul flights but that is not always possible nowadays due to LAGs restrictions.

There's nothing stopping you from buying a bottle of water in duty free as you have passed the security checks by then.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Could be contaminated. We do know for a fact commercial aircraft water systems flying out of the US are self regulated and when inspected about 10% fail inspection. What failing inspection means exactly I don't know. I drink bottled water on flights except rare times will have coffee hoping the heat will kill off any bad stuff.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

There's nothing stopping you from buying a bottle of water in duty free as you have passed the security checks by then.

Seems you have not tried to fly to the US recently.  There is a final security check at the gate for any flight that goes to the USA and all water bottles must be discarded.  You can drink it or throw it out but cannot bring it on the plane. 

It is strange because I can do as you suggest when catching a flight direct to Canada, but if I take a plane to US and then to Canada I have to drink my water before boarding.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Seems you have not tried to fly to the US recently.  There is a final security check at the gate for any flight that goes to the USA and all water bottles must be discarded.  You can drink it or throw it out but cannot bring it on the plane. 

It is strange because I can do as you suggest when catching a flight direct to Canada, but if I take a plane to US and then to Canada I have to drink my water before boarding.

We flew to the US last August from London, don't recall any problems, did't have to stand in security and drink the litre of whiskey and gin before they let us pass. The only problem we did have flying US to Canada was a couple of bananas in our carry on. Then they were selling then the other side of the barrier, hopefully not my bananas.

• Like 2