Disrespect

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jake said:

Busog ako (I'm full) is really no excuse     It's even more offensive if you refuse to drink what they're drinking.  

Can you drink like a man?

Thats where i went wrong .:huh:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jake said:

Busog ako (I'm full) is really no excuse and will potentially embarrass yourself among the Filipino family.

I try to eat what are "normal" portions for me and stick with food I recognize.  My extended family know that I eat less than Filipinos.  When encourged to eat more, I pat my stomach, smile, and say "busog".  As far as I know I have have not caused embarrassment for myself, my wife, or the family.  I think it all depends on your demeanor and choice of words rather than how much or how little you eat.  My opinion of course. 

• Like 4

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted

A few years back,  right around the time we got married, my wife's family served fresh goat; meat, intestines, brain, etc.  All eyes where on me as I ate some of it. (I'm sure they were both happy and amused)  Washed it down with tuba.  Took some courage to try something so, um, exotic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is at my house in the States Christmas eve last year We ended up with lots of leftover pork even though we had a full house. I switched the recipe up last year from how I usually do it, prepared it with a soy sauce based marinade (I injected it in the thick places with a sort of food syringe so the flavor goes deep), stuffed it with lemongrass, garlic, green onions and green plantains.

20171224_145003.jpg

This baboy got lots of respect when we went on a picnic to a local beach in the Ph. It shocks me how much Filipinos can eat and stay thin. 

20161015_135609.jpg

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Why is it offensive to do something you don`t like?

That bothers me too, but so many people come here to be treated like a King.  What would a King (or Queen) do when confronted with cultural things that they don't like.  They cannot offend their subjects.  So in situations like that I ask myself:  What would Lizzie do?

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That bothers me too, but so many people come here to be treated like a King.  What would a King (or Queen) do when confronted with cultural things that they don't like.  They cannot offend their subjects.  So in situations like that I ask myself:  What would Lizzie do?

She told me that she doesn`t like cold food full of bacteria and salt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So in situations like that I ask myself:  What would Lizzie do?

Probably do as I did today, Find a reason not to go, Having had 2 Birthdays and 3 Graduations last week I have had enough of Local cuisine for some time, So I sit here and let them get on with it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

One time over there I ended up in hospital for the night because I ate cold caldereta, I have no problem in offending anyone nowadays, the wife scrutinizes everything I eat and if it's not hot or a hint of western cuisine, I don't get a taste. :thumbsup:  Who am I to disrupt the peaceful vibes my caring wife. :SugarwareZ-004:

• Like 2