1.4 million in fines dished out in Dumaguete

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

So I see some are getting find for breaching the anti smoking law. 

3,296 Discipline Zone Violators fined P1.05 million

DUMAGUETE CITY – At the rate of P 200.00 to P 500 per penalty, some 3, 296 discipline zone violators were slapped with the total fines amounting to P 1.04 million in the first two months of implementation covering February and May 2018.

Councilor Michael Bandal, branded by Mayor Felipe Antonio Remollo as the project czar, vowed to continue in its relentless enforcement of traffic rules from Barangay Bunao up to Robinson Dumaguete in Barangay Calindagan.

Bandal appeals to several violators, who dropped names or use their status in the community as means to defy or intimidate the enforcers, to just comply with the regulations since the project aims to restore order and discipline among motorists and pedestrians with zero tolerance.

Mayor Remollo reminded those who mock or open defy the traffic rules that no one is above the law and pointed out that even relatives including the brother of Councilor Bandal promptly paid the penalties of their violations as a show of respect to the authorities.

Based on the records, there were 1, 850 violators who were apprehended in February alone and another 1, 446 were penalized in March 2018.

The biggest number of violations involved illegal parking 1, 651 in February and 1, 315 in March; smoking in public, 179 in February and 105 in March; reckless driving 4 in February and 8 in March, jay walking 12 and littering 4 in February and 18 in March.

The violators will be paying as much as P 889, 800 for illegal parking; P 142, 000 for smoking in public; P 3, 600 for reckless driving; P 4, 800 for littering and P 600 for jay walking.

A proposed ordinance will be deliberated that will provide an increase of the fines, towing and clamping of vehicles that obstruct traffic and sidewalks. Currently the rates are P 300 for illegal parking; P 500 smoking in public, P 300 for reckless driving; P 200 for littering and P 50 for jaywalking.

https://negroschronicle.com/3296-discipline-zone-violators-fined-p1-05-million/

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This all sounds great until someone borrows your car and does not tell you he/she got a parking ticket.  Could get expensive if they have a way of finding the owner of the car.  I am curious how they would do that as it is customary to buy a car and never change the registration so the plates could be registered to a guy who's been dead 10 years.

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)

I asked my wife how they do the ticketing here and she said something like they take the drivers" license and give them a temporary card or the like. They get their license back when they go to the precinct and pay the fine.

Edit: There were taxis lined up, empty on a speed limit enforcement day. That's what prompted my question to my wife. I don't know if they do the same to regular license holders.

Edited by JDDavao
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

they take the driver's license

Well they cannot take the license off the car, for parking violations, for two reasons.  First they all say "For Registration" :hystery: and second, most of them are made privately because LTO has none to issue, so if the license is taken off the car then the owner can make up another one.

I doubt they wait until the driver comes back to the parked car to issue a parking ticket so how do they handle the parking tickets there?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I guess you wrote too fast or I didn't read slow enough or something. I didn't realize it was parking tickets you meant.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

I didn't realize it was parking tickets you meant

The opening post refers to many different kinds of fines, but my query was about parking tickets because that affects me more than the other fines.  Parking tickets in Dumaguete have become expensive and if someone is using my vehicle and gets a ticket I want to know how they (the authorities) will handle that.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It is typical for the local government in the Philippines to start a campaign by issuing fines for violations. After a while, everything reverts back to the old ways. Any serious campaign should look for long term solutions.

Some are addictive smokers. You need to provide them designated areas for smoking with containers for ashes and cigarette butts. Parking violations occur because there is no place to park. A simple solution is to convert empty lots.  All you need is a few truck loads of gravel to level the area. When the property owner is ready to build, they simply reclaim their property. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Some are addictive smokers. You need to provide them designated areas for smoking with containers for ashes and cigarette butts.

Such as is done in my area and from what I see most big business are doing this including malls.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This all sounds great until someone borrows your car and does not tell you he/she got a parking ticket.

We all know that things are done differently in different areas. 

Here in my area of Metro Manila, they do not issue parking tickets. Enforcers move in packs with tow trucks following. When they see a parking violator they stand next to it and wait for the tow truck. The owner must go to the impound yard to get his car back. I have personally stood there and watched when a driver kame running up. The enforcers were courteous but adamant. They were nice enough and even offered the driver a ride in the tow truck so he could get his car back quicker. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Some are addictive smokers. You need to provide them designated areas for smoking with containers for ashes and cigarette butts.

Such as is done in my area and from what I see most big business are doing this including malls.

Although I am not a smoker, I am glad to hear that accommodations are made for those who do.  It keeps second hand smoke away from non-smokers.

• Like 1