1.4 million in fines dished out in Dumaguete

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

The owner must go to the impound yard to get his car back. I have personally stood there and watched when a driver kame running up. The enforcers were courteous but adamant. They were nice enough and even offered the driver a ride in the tow truck so he could get his car back quicker.

Now THAT is fair!  I would like to see that in Dumaguete instead of sticking a paper on the window (guessing here) that says there is a parking fine due.

In your post you said that the owner must go get his car back but it looks like the driver could do it too.  That means if someone else is using your car and it gets towed he could just go get it back.  In other words it is the problem of the one who broke the law rather than the problem of the one who owns the car.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

n your post you said that the owner must go get his car back but it looks like the driver could do it too.

To be honest Dave I really don't know the procedure to get the car out of impound. Seeing how things are here with so many OFW's. I suppose that with a letter of authorization, the registration, a photo copy of the owners ID the driver of the car (or any other representative) could pay the fine and get the car back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted

1.4 million in two months? Wow.   Could help fund the cost of a downtown city parking garage. Or a few small to medium sized ones. Or to purchase land for inexpensive uncovered parking lots.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, CoffeeRulzMe said:

Or to purchase land for inexpensive uncovered parking lots.

The problem is you would need another 1.4 million for lawyer fees to unclutter the property titles for the land purchase :hystery: 

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, scott h said:

The problem is you would need another 1.4 million for lawyer fees to unclutter the property titles for the land purchase :hystery: 

:thumbsup: Providing they could find Land to purchase in or around the city. having Said that I hear that City land prices being Paid just now is around 10.000 peso sq Mtr

intrepid
Posted
Posted

In response to finding the driver of an illegally parked vehicle, I have never seen that done in anyplace I have ever traveled. The parking fine is most always attached to the vehicle.  Same with speed and traffic light enforcement cameras.   Unless the officer was going to stand by the vehicle for who knows how many hours, how would they know who the driver was?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Unless the officer was going to stand by the vehicle for who knows how many hours, how would they know who the driver was?

That is a good point, but as I mentioned earlier, with no license plate and the vehicle often registered in "dead grandad's" name how would they find the owner of the vehicle?  Thus in Philippines it makes more sense to wait for the driver than find the owner.  Remember, waiting in Philippines is a national pastime and the fine of 300 pesos for illegal parking is a day's pay so I have no doubt they could find unemployed people to watch the car and report when someone comes to drive it away.  But that is just a personal opinion and I have no idea how they will actually collect the money in Dumaguete.  Perhaps its just one of those voluntary laws, as in:  We caught you so pay the fine, or not if you don't feel like it.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have no idea how they will actually collect the money in Dumaguete. 

From @davewe recent parking episode I recall he said it was paid at City Hall but then, the enforcer in this story would have to let the Driver Go with his Citation. Like many things YMMV :89:

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

From @davewe recent parking episode I recall he said it was paid at City Hall but then, the enforcer in this story would have to let the Driver Go with his Citation. Like many things YMMV :89:

Yep, payment was at City Hall. There is no question that we have gone from seeing no parking tickets issued to seeing them issued with regularity. The place where I was illegally parked often has a LTO guy hanging close by since it has been a common place for people to park.

The truth is that while it is a PITA, ever since I got my ticket when I go to my bank I park elsewhere, which usually means a block or 2 walk - but that is no worse than what I would expect in the downtown area of my home country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

When this first started they impounded motorcycles for 30 days. They loaded them on a truck and took them away. Rumor has it that the city is getting a tow truck to start towing those that think they are special. More power to them, Manila is cracking down on this and they are serious about it.

• Like 1