Will Mactan Be the Next Boracay?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

DENR uncovers Mactan, Panglao ‘cesspools’

CEBU CITY—Swimming is unsafe in the waters off Mactan Island in Cebu province, and Panglao Island in Bohol province—two of the top tourist destinations in the Visayas—as fecal coliform levels found in seawater exceed the standard set by the Environmental Management Bureau (EMB).

William Cuñado, director of the EMB in Central Visayas, said the bureau’s recent study found that fecal coliform reached 150 to 200 most probable number (MPN) in Panglao and 180 to 250 MPN in Mactan.

More at the link.  Will Mactan be closed to tourists next?

• Like 3

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Seems probable Dave.  I actually hope that these types of issues keep getting raised and Duterte expands some more effort to ensure that more Filipinos adhere to waste water treatment laws.  Every time I pass over "shit river" coming from NAIA going south on Aguinaldo Hwy I get to thinking about how they need more wastewater treatment plants In the Philippines.

• Like 4

bows00
Posted
Posted

Huh?  Mactan is a concrete island.  If anything, everything will have to be artificially man made.  

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

The water quality around Mactan Island are for the most part caused by activity on the Island of Cebu.

Edited by Old55

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bows00 said:

Huh?  Mactan is a concrete island.  If anything, everything will have to be artificially man made.  

Are you sure about that?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Many homes and business in the Philippines have septic tanks rather than a connection to a municipal treatment plant  So when it rains hard and streets flood, watch out. The septic tank is not bad so long as you get a truck (Pozo Negro) to empty it every three to five years.  Few bother until they reach overcapacity. The problem is these trucks dump the waste at some reclamation project.  If it is near the ocean, the pollution becomes obvious during the rainy month.  Or it is carried from the reclamation project to the ocean through rivers and streams.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Many homes and business in the Philippines have septic tanks rather than a connection to a municipal treatment plant

That is all I have ever seen here.  When we lived in the city the toilet was on a septic tank, the sinks and shower went to a storm drain (ditch along the street). Do they actually have a sewage system here? 

• Hmm thinking 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a septic tank at my place (US) along with a drain field. My shit's contained and it makes the grass grow greener.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2

marine6357
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Reboot said:

I have a septic tank at my place (US) along with a drain field.

Is that same as a leech field? 

Also in the Philippines do people use the products that actual dissolve the solid matter? ie: Rid-X?

• Haha 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, marine6357 said:

Is that same as a leech field? 

Also in the Philippines do people use the products that actual dissolve the solid matter? ie: Rid-X?

I believe so.

As for the second question, I don't know. Here we just have the "honey truck" pump out the tank every few years.