Baguio

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

For those of you who have been to Baguio, Burnham Park was a bit different back in 1934!

Baguio 1934.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Cool pic. I can see the Catholic Church on the hill above Session Rd on the right edge of the pic and City Hall on the  left edge of the pic.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Haven't been to Baguio. Wonder if it worth the trip this summer.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here are some more current pictures of Burnham Park.  That is SM on the hill in pic 1.  The 3rd pic seems to older, showing the skating rink before it was covered??

baguio now 1.jpg

baguio now 3.jpg

baguio now 2.jpg

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I have wonderful childhood memories spending summer months with my siblings and first cousins in Baguio.  They include boating and roller skating in Burnham Park; horseback riding at Wright Park; exploring Crystal Cave; and signing privileges on my father's membership with the Baguio Country Club.  The club had a bowling alley and a badmington court.  

A cousin had signing privileges at Camp John Hay since his father had strong connections with the US Military (graduate of the US Naval Academy in Annapolis). The camp had the best hamburgers and you could purchase goodies at the Post Exchange if you had US dollars or military script.

Baguio City wasn't overdeveloped unlike today. We walked everywhere without fear of traffic. You could walk through backyards to get to wooded areas because more properties were cottages without fencing.  An aunt was with the Good Shepherd Convent.  My sisters would volunteer to help prepare their famous strawberry preserve and jams. I would show up at the convent to sample the merchandise.  The nuns never said anything.  I recall my father would mail them a donation check once a month. Maybe he added a little extra during my visits to Baguio.

• Like 3