America's ‘big stick’ arrives in the Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Reboot said:

This is impressive

Reading through your link:

“China’s actions speak louder than words… What matters is not intentions, but capabilities because intentions can change overnight, capabilities cannot.” - Gerald Howarth, former UK minister for international security strategy

It is bothersome, to me, that the Chinese feel the need to build a "super" miltary.  It is equally concerning that the other countries in the area need to build up their own "defensive" military (with the exception of Philippines who will be friends with whoever wins).

On a brighter note:  

Kim Jong-un, the young leader of North Korea, just completed a trip to Beijing to discuss a variety of matters with the newly ensconced “Emperor for life,” Xi Jinping. Soothing statements were subsequently issued that denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula was a very real possibility—so long as the United States acted in a “peaceful” way.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Reboot said:

To think you guys once built this.

I think it was more impressive that they built this Wooden Wonder

Wooden wonder.jpg 

Made more impressive because the Yanks tried to copy the idea of a wooden plane with the Spruce Goose but they only got the Goose off the ground once.

Reboot
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Reading through your link:

“China’s actions speak louder than words… What matters is not intentions, but capabilities because intentions can change overnight, capabilities cannot.” - Gerald Howarth, former UK minister for international security strategy

It is bothersome, to me, that the Chinese feel the need to build a "super" miltary.  It is equally concerning that the other countries in the area need to build up their own "defensive" military (with the exception of Philippines who will be friends with whoever wins).

On a brighter note:  

It's a huge waste of resources. I think it was Eisenhower as President during his farewell address that said that every bomb bullet tank etc represented a waste of resources that could be used to better life for people. But then again, it was our founder Jefferson who said that those who build just plowshares instead of swords will plow for those who don't.

• Hmm thinking 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think it was more impressive that they built this Wooden Wonder

Wooden wonder.jpg 

Made more impressive because the Yanks tried to copy the idea of a wooden plane with the Spruce Goose but they only got the Goose off the ground once.

They couldn't get enough of those Mosquitos back then. Built out of wood due to aluminum scarcity. Two Rolls Royce Merlins on the wings. Powered US' best fighter (arguably), the P-51. I got to do some work on that engine back when I was a teen in aviation mechanic school.

The Spruce Goose was doomed by the end of the war by the way. If flew fine. That brief hop was a Howard Hughes vanity flight.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

If we're going to wave dicks at each other (nothing wrong with that), here's a B-36 Peacemaker with an F-84 Thunderjet (with a nuke) in waiting.

fd122fd878737edddf9244138b934c35.jpg

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Reboot said:

If we're going to wave dicks at each othe

Nah, but the point to be taken is how fast a country can go from underdog to world power if they set their mind to it. US overtook Britain as a world power.  China could overtake USA, if they set their mind to it and no one steps up to take them down before they get there.

Not that it will happen this year or this decade, but they are on track to go there.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

only got the Goose off the ground  water once.  :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1