Blood Pressure Meds

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Do you experience higher readings the first time you take your BP, if you take it more than once?

I use a "Life" brand BP reader.  That is the store brand of Shopper's Drug Mart in Canada.

Well I'll be d*mned!  It used to read the same each reading when I checked it in the past but the machine is a couple or 3 years old.  I was surprised when I tested it just now:

Left arm (recommended) 124/72 Pulse 85  This was the result I expect about this time of day.

Right arm (60 seconds later) 112/66 Pulse 85

Left arm again (60 seconds later) 109/73 Pulse 84

So I waited 5 minutes before trying again and once again tested:

Left arm 112/74 Pulse 178

Right arm 114/68 Pulse 196

Left arm 114/77 Pulse 176

Anyone else thinking its time to replace my BP monitor?  So I put my finger on my pulse and timed it for a minute.  The 84/85 pulse is accurate.  Those later numbers are just nuts.  I replaced the batteries in my monitor and I'll give it another try

Left arm 112/74 Pulse 83

Right arm 114/71 Pulse 82 and then

Left arm again: 116/75 Pulse 82

So I'm going to call those numbers consistent enough and say it was the batteries getting low.

1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Now at 1405 I am 123/78 and 109/73.  See next.

Why two above at 1405?  I took it twice and the second was much lower.

So have you tried putting fresh batteries in.  Caution:  The first set of replacement batteries I put in were new but they were "duds".  Probably sitting on a Philippine retailers shelf too long.  The second set gave consistent results.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I use a "Life" brand BP reader.  That is the store brand of Shopper's Drug Mart in Canada.

Well I'll be d*mned!  It used to read the same each reading when I checked it in the past but the machine is a couple or 3 years old.  I was surprised when I tested it just now:

Left arm (recommended) 124/72 Pulse 85  This was the result I expect about this time of day.

Right arm (60 seconds later) 112/66 Pulse 85

Left arm again (60 seconds later) 109/73 Pulse 84

So I waited 5 minutes before trying again and once again tested:

Left arm 112/74 Pulse 178

Right arm 114/68 Pulse 196

Left arm 114/77 Pulse 176

Anyone else thinking its time to replace my BP monitor?  So I put my finger on my pulse and timed it for a minute.  The 84/85 pulse is accurate.  Those later numbers are just nuts.  I replaced the batteries in my monitor and I'll give it another try

Left arm 112/74 Pulse 83

Right arm 114/71 Pulse 82 and then

Left arm again: 116/75 Pulse 82

So I'm going to call those numbers consistent enough and say it was the batteries getting low.

So have you tried putting fresh batteries in.  Caution:  The first set of replacement batteries I put in were new but they were "duds".  Probably sitting on a Philippine retailers shelf too long.  The second set gave consistent results.

I'm using mine with the wall plug power so I don't think the power is an issue.  I have noticed the "higher first reading" for a long time.

Out of curiosity just now I did 5 individual reads about 30 seconds apart:

137/80    128/77    129/77   136/75   118/76

I guess that is why they have the "3 reads and average" method.  My unit is 10+ years old so it might not work perfectly, but everything seems fine.  I have an extra large cuff because of my huge biceps.  :whistling:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Do you experience higher readings the first time you take your BP, if you take it more than once?

I do but if I take it 5 minutes later it is lower I always do 3 readings and take the average.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I do but if I take it 5 minutes later it is lower I always do 3 readings and take the average.

Second tome you read you're at rest for 5 plus minutes.should read lower.  Exercise (walk) eat a bit then in half hour take BP  should be at least 10 points less than first getup.I was taught to have person sitting at rest for 5-10 minutes before taking a reading.most Doctor's offices take after you get up walk about 100 feet sit then take pressure.  Many will take with arm below heart. these both will cause higher readings (white coat syndrome) Sit both feet flat on floor take a breath relax about 5 minutes put your arm on chair back to bring elbow about height of bottom of ribs then take reading.   Before I was on an ace inhibitor and had side effects and reactions with common OTC drugs then switched to beta blocker and a calcium blocker.  Since I went on keto diet a year ago have decreased dose of beta and am weaning off calcium blocker.  Cholesterol down to 174 from 220 sugar below 100 hard to be on in Fil but can be  done. last time to doc BP was 104/60 nurse took 4 times used two different gauges her high was 1143/68 so her and the doctor said the diet was bad becaus very little fruit and no carbs.   Old beliefs die hard even when the facts hit you in face.

Okay kids lecture over....test at end of week    :89::morning1:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I really do think Some need to slow done and remember why we are here :smile:

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gerald Glatt said:

put your arm on chair back

What does this mean?  I sit at our dining table and lay my arm on the table while keeping my back straight.  That seems to be about the right height but maybe a bit low.

1 hour ago, Gerald Glatt said:

1143/68

I'm glad you are still with us!  :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Tables fine for the vertically impaired.

1143/68 is a bit high eh? 

• Haha 2

Robi
Posted
Posted

As far as blood pressure cuffs, have had good results with "Icare Health Care Monitor" app, (free).

Also keeps a record for reference.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Calling Ralph said:

Icare Health Care Monitor

That sounded great!  An app for my phone that checks my blood pressure and pulse.  I was all set to sign up until I read the first review on the site:

So, I've just tested the piece of chicken on my plate, and apparently it has a normal BP of 117/72, and a pulse of 68!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That sounded great!  An app for my phone that checks my blood pressure and pulse.  I was all set to sign up until I read the first review on the site:

How exactly does it measure BP?