Sub-standard plywood

robert k
Posted
Posted

Half inch? I have seen contractors substitute 19/32 plywood for 3/4 trying to squeeze the last penny out of a job in the US.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

When we were building, we sourced our own material. it took an entire day and a physical trip to the hardware by me (my wife had been doing all of the legwork) for me to finally understand that "substandard" thing as it's applied to deformed bar (Rebar).

One problem is that the architect and the hardware stores were using either millimeters or the imperial measurements at will so I had to keep converting back and forth. My wife kept coming home and telling me so-and-so had deformed bar but only substandard. Well, who wants substandard stuff?! I'm an American, darn it! I will have standard material!

The first thing I had to learn is that no supplier carried the 10mm deformed bar our plans called for. That was "special order". But they did carry 9mm. Except, the 9mm was really 8mm sold as "9mm substandard". "It's ok, sir. Everyone uses it."  :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 2

popeye72 
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JDDavao said:

When we were building, we sourced our own material. it took an entire day and a physical trip to the hardware by me (my wife had been doing all of the legwork) for me to finally understand that "substandard" thing as it's applied to deformed bar (Rebar).

One problem is that the architect and the hardware stores were using either millimeters or the imperial measurements at will so I had to keep converting back and forth. My wife kept coming home and telling me so-and-so had deformed bar but only substandard. Well, who wants substandard stuff?! I'm an American, darn it! I will have standard material!

The first thing I had to learn is that no supplier carried the 10mm deformed bar our plans called for. That was "special order". But they did carry 9mm. Except, the 9mm was really 8mm sold as "9mm substandard". "It's ok, sir. Everyone uses it."  :shock_40_anim_gif:

Maybe substandard 12mm or 1/2" was the answer. 

A bit late now but the engineer could have redone the calc for 8mm and increased the amount of bars accordingly. 

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

Speaking of substandard plywood I bought a couple sheets of marine to make a bench top and a few simple woodworking jigs. Not only is the plywood nowhere near flat but it moves with the humidity. I asked a couple of Filipino guitar maker friends and they said it's just inferior ply and that they use MDF. 

• Like 2