Hello

Evegheny Adrian
Posted
Posted

Recently I saw many street performers. But unlike EU, these people who are so skilled and have a great talent on doing something special,they never get rewarded and they are insulted. I recently saw an old blind man at the overpass in Baguio,he is playing guitar like Hendrix. But people are ignoring. Why is like this? 

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Because it's illegal to give to beggers in the Philippines

Evegheny Adrian
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Gary D said:

But they aren't beggars. A street performer expose his skills. A beg is when you really ask for

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Evegheny Adrian said:

But they aren't beggars.

Its a cultural thing.  Some see street performers as "panhandlers" or beggars while others see artists exhibiting their skills.  For me, if I want to see a street performer then I can understand paying for the privilege, but if its a pain in the arse because they are blocking the public sidewalk and I have no interest in what they are offering then they are just a nuisance, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Evegheny Adrian
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its a cultural thing.  Some see street performers as "panhandlers" or beggars while others see artists exhibiting their skills.  For me, if I want to see a street performer then I can understand paying for the privilege, but if its a pain in the arse because they are blocking the public sidewalk and I have no interest in what they are offering then they are just a nuisance, in my opinion.

Where do you want them to go. Is not like our countries with open squares and plazas. Is not their fault that the infrastructure sucks here

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Evegheny Adrian said:

Where do you want them to go.

I don't care where they go.  Not my problem, not my decision.  As a foreigner my advice on sociopolitical situations  is neither wanted or welcome in this country.

If someone has a marketable skill then they should go where people will pay for it.  If you want to pay for it that's fine with me.  If they want to stand in the street and "encourage me to give" then I am within my rights to walk past and ignore them.

May I ask why you are making it your business that the rest of us should be so thrilled to watch street performers and "donate" money?  (I am not suggesting that all members are 'stingy' in this manner but I know many think as I do because I've been having a drink with some of the other members when a "street performer" comes up to us to "perform" with his bottle caps on a stick and invariably they are asked to move on.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Evegheny Adrian said:

I recently saw an old blind man at the overpass in Baguio,he is playing guitar like Hendrix. But people are ignoring. Why is like this? 

Maybe it's not the culture of Filipinos to give to street performers? Maybe they have their own mouths feed.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sadly in many cases a "street musician" is most often loud and annoying and is basically extorting money from others to go away.

As in your example a few musicians with real talent showcase in a polite respectable manner. In those cases I have been pleased to contribute. Most filipino are kind and giving but are unwilling to be conned by the players. It is illegal to give money to beggars also can be dangerous.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Evegheny Adrian said:

But people are ignoring. Why is like this? 

Its a cultural thing, just like when a smiling, friendly sales associate greets a customer and they are just ignored. My advise is "Don't sweat the small stuff"

• Like 2

oldutot
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gary D said:

Lmao, so it’s illegal to give money to scammers and my fellow expats in the Philippines. The only thing that cracks me up, is the beggar here in Seattle.

• Love it 2