Illusion or not

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

There is a building in the IT park that looks like someone did not own a level. Is it an illusion or not? From this point from behind it really looks all wrong to me.

IMG_20180422_085649.jpg  IMG_20180422_085652.jpg

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Knowing how the Philippines LOVES to make stupid puns on English words, I would suggest they are planning to open an eatery called "The Leaning Tower of Pizza"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Perspective view. The right side of the building looks to be 90 degrees vertical to the horizon. The left side is a slightly open angle from the ground up along the left wall.

What's interesting are the other features on the building and buildings in the foreground that makes it hard to reference. That and the shadow on the building behind it causes me to be unsure exactly what.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Was it a windy day?:smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

The left side is a slightly open angle from the ground up along the left wall.

Yes to me it appears wider at the top on the left. I will see if I can get a closer picture. Just a point, the land its on is flat or at least the road in front of the building is flat, no hill or anything. 

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Would the units sell at a discount?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Only if you have an angle.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

16 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I will see if I can get a closer picture.

Assuming that the building has not fallen down by the time you get there.  :whistling:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

You are taking the photograph from the ground looking up. This will result in distortion.  The person taking the photograph may try to correct perspective by aligning one side.  This only increases the distortion on the opposite side.

In the old days of photography, using a view camera with swings and tilts, a professional architecture photographer can correct the distortion caused from the ground. A more modern method is to take the photograph from the mid level point. You can do this from another nearby building or, increasingly popular, use a drone. 

By the way, modern tall buildings are not rigid. They are designed to flex during strong wind and earthquakes.  While riding out an earthquake in Tokyo from the 45th floor of a hotel, I estimated the swing was eight feet.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

You are taking the photograph from the ground looking up. This will result in distortion.  The person taking the photograph may try to correct perspective by aligning one side. 

Maybe so but I was a block away taking the photo so on the next road over so it's not like at the base looking up. But even without the photo when I looked over that way the first thing I thought is that building is out of plumb and the girlfriend said l told you about that before which I did not know which building she meant at the time. 

13 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Its a call center :smile: