What would be a reasonable price to pay for rent

blkJack
Posted
Posted

In your opinion what would you pay for a two bedroom furnished or unfurnished house in a small city like Dapitan City?  I don't have expensive tastes but rather simple local accommodations would do. Utilities would be extra like Water, power, Air conditioning and internet as options or extras. 

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am unfamiliar with Dapitan, but in Iloilo I paid p6,500 a month for a 2 bedroom unfurnished apartment. Only had to pay for electric, as we were on a well. I put in a small window unit (aircon) in the the bedroom, only ran it at night, and electric was almost p4,000 a month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, blkJack said:

In your opinion what would you pay for a two bedroom furnished or unfurnished house in a small city like Dapitan City?

In my opinion, having never looked for a house to rent in Dapitan, I would want to be there in person to find something I liked.

In general, I find the price of rentals is proportional to the price of pension houses, and it seems you can rent a cheap, clean pension hours room for 650 a night.  (Here is a screen shot of such a place.  The reviews are all good and say walk-ins can get a room for 650)

pension.jpg

In my opinion, this means that the price of 

2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

p6,500 a month for a 2 bedroom unfurnished apartment

is probably just as do-able in Dapitan as it is where Tim lives.  In my opinion you are likely to find more apartments or row houses for rent than western style detached houses.  If you are looking for the latter style you will probably pay much more, if you can find one.

But the MOST important things (if you want the best deal) are boots on the ground, look for yourself, ask around locally, and if you see a good deal grab it while it is available.

EDIT:  Whatever you end up paying, you will find some other expats who are paying less and some who are paying more.  There is no consistency.  The price is often what the landlady thinks she can get from you.  This is where the right filipina wife can negotiate the price down for you and the wrong filipina will end up negotiating for you to pay more as it makes them feel "high" when they can act like they have money to burn.  Again, my opinion, which is what you asked for.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Its really boots on the ground and be prepared for shocks. Have a friend here currently looking the same, prices vary from P21K to P7K for similar places, seems many just pluck out a figure and hope...

My advice spend a lot of time with trikes looking around.

• Like 4

blkJack
Posted
Posted (edited)

My internet GF say her daughter has found one in the area she like for 7000p unfurnished, so i'm thinking that OK. I asked her to find something that was furnish and she said she found 1 for 14000p. I asked her to figure out a price to furnish the place so she figured we by 3 forks, 3 spoons , 3 ECT. LOL budget minded Woman. I will have boots on the ground  in June I'm thinking. My GF is taking a train course in caring for Rich Saudis and UAE muslims households so can't look until she is off of contract in May 12th.     

Edited by blkJack
  • Like 2
  • Love it 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, blkJack said:

My internet GF say she found one in the area she like for 7000p unfurnished, so i'm thinking that OK. I asked her to find something that was furnish and she said she found 1 for 14000p. I asked her to figure out a price to furnish the place so she figured we by 3 forks, 3 spoons , 3 ECT. LOL budget minded. Woman.

You may have found a great one my friend!

Clermont
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, blkJack said:

In your opinion what would you pay for a two bedroom furnished or unfurnished house in a small city like Dapitan City?  I don't have expensive tastes but rather simple local accommodations would do. Utilities would be extra like Water, power, Air conditioning and internet as options or extras. 

In one of your posts you need assistance, Wheelchair, baggage help, just a thought, most bedrooms in PI houses are upstairs, a few have lower bedrooms. if a upstairs suits you climb the stairs first before signing any contract, they build bloody awful stairs to climb.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, blkJack said:

My internet GF say she found one in the area she like for 7000p unfurnished, so i'm thinking that OK.

Hope you like it.  If not then you will know why you need YOUR boots on the ground. For 7K it will surely be nice by her standards but are you coming here to make her happy or to make you happy?

Filipinas are not nearly as demanding as we foreigners are.  You think you can live in a shack?  Some expats can.  I have a friend who lived in a nipa hut on the beach and paid 500 a month for it.  He shared it with ants, lizards, rats, cockroaches, spiders, and the occasional cobra.  But he was fine with that until Yolanda blew it down.  Filipinas live like that every day until they get with a foreigner.  It will be a steep learning curve for you but you will love it all the same.

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, blkJack said:

I asked her to figure out a price to furnish the place so she figured we by 3 forks, 3 spoons , 3 ECT. LOL budget minded. Woman.

You would be looking at around 100,000 to furnish a 2 bed house.

blkJack
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Clermont said:

In one of your posts you need assistance, Wheelchair, baggage help, just a thought, most bedrooms in PI houses are upstairs, a few have lower bedrooms. if a upstairs suits you climb the stairs first before signing any contract, they build bloody awful stairs to climb.

I have COPD, I can walk and climb ok, it's just trying to carry luggage, backpack around these big air port that I can't do so I ask for wheelchair service and it seems to get you pushed through the express lines and customs quickly. 

• Like 2