A good Throw-a-way ticket part 2

blkJack
Posted
Posted
On 4/28/2018 at 12:06 AM, OnMyWay said:

Malaysia often has the cheapest throw aways.

We are going to work on that Scott, that will be the ticket all right.

2 hours ago, scott h said:
2 hours ago, scott h said:

Just marry the lady, get your 13a visa and never worry about it again :hystery:

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Tom, the airlines may question your stay just so you are aware of the visa requirements, but they don't go into the nitty gritty of your reason for going to a country. If your passport is in order and you are not blacklisted to fly from your country, ( yes your country can blacklist you, ) there is no onus on the airline to fly a passenger into another country without a forwarding ticket, although they won't let you board to some countries without the right visa's, PI's isn't one of them.

As for Balikbayan, I have entered the PI's on tourist and Balikbayan entry several times, I have even got extensions on my 30 day tourist stay in my earlier visits. I might be one of the lucky ones, but to date I have never had a problem with airlines or BI staff, ( touch wood ).

The point I was making earlier was, if coming as a tourist, pay for a return ticket or exit ticket, not a refundable ticket, the BI's aren't d---heads, they've seen it all before. If coming for longer it is no problem to rebook your departure ticket once you have worked out whether you need the extension or not. If your penny pinching and can't afford the 100 odd $'s to rebook, you won't enjoy yourself anyway. Long term departure tickets, 12 months or 6 months in advance can be brought forward with a charge the same as extending your ticket. 

The types of visa requirements vary with different situations of people entering the PI's and return airline ticket requirements vary on status of personal that are here already, usually. Sometimes you might get an over zealous inspector, but just ask for the top dog if you are legal and it will be fixed, seen it with a Yank once, problem fixed in a couple of minutes.  

Like I said earlier, start your stay on the right foot, and you'll enjoy it more.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Clermont said:

there is no onus on the airline to fly a passenger into another country without a forwarding ticket

4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

One of my best friends felt that way, until he was back in the USA and he missed his flight back to Philippines because the airline demanded he have an onward ticket.  Suddenly he's a convert.

Your mileage may vary.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Clermont said:

there is no onus on the airline to fly a passenger into another country without a forwarding ticket,

There is a rule for the airlines to not allow boarding without an onward ticket to the Philippines. Other countries are not our problem.

Let's go back to 2012

Immigration Bureau to fine airlines for tourists without return tickets
Published July 22, 2012 7:51pm 
Airlines will be penalized with administrative fines by the Bureau of Immigration if they allow foreign tourists bound for the Philippines to board their planes without return tickets.

BI Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. noted that it should be the responsibility of the airlines to make sure that all its passengers who are traveling as tourists have procured the necessary return tickets.

He noted that the requirement on return tickets for tourists is an international rule, practiced and implemented in almost all other countries in the world.

Furthermore, David said that those tourists with no return tickets will be prohibited from entering the country and sent back to their port of origin.

“This rule is meant to guarantee that a tourist will leave the host country before the lapse of his stay as a temporary visitor,” David explained.

Likewise, BI spokesperson Atty. Ma. Antonette Mangrobang,  explained that under Sec. 29 of the immigration act, aliens who arrived as tourists but do not have valid return or onward tickets shall be automatically excluded.

However, she added that Balikbayans, who are also considered tourists but are admitted for one year, are exempted from the rule in deference to the fact that they are former citizens of the Philippines. 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

An interesting read. I can see that former citzens don't need an onward ticket and can usually prove their place on birth by it being stated in their foreign passport, so at their port of departure there is unlikely to be any conflict. Where the whole thing falls down for any foreigner accompanying them is that they are not a BB until their entry visa is stamped by the immigration officer at the port of entry. So if the air decided to augue the toss you aren't getting on that plane.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Where the whole thing falls down for any foreigner accompanying them is that they are not a BB until their entry visa is stamped by the immigration officer at the port of entry. So if the air decided to augue the toss you aren't getting on that plane.

Except if you have the facts to show that a BB does not need an onward ticket and I do know of at least one person who has had to argue that point more than once but the rules are clear and if you carry a copy there should be no dispute. 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Except if you have the facts to show that a BB does not need an onward ticket and I do know of at least one person who has had to argue that point more than once but the rules are clear and if you carry a copy there should be no dispute. 

But at that point in time you are not a BB.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Gary D said:

But at that point in time you are not a BB.

It says since you are a spouse of a returning citizen then you are considered a BB which do not require an onward ticket. I know your point but it's a matter of convincing or proving the facts to the airline. 

Added

b. Immediate family members (spouse and children) of the Balikbayan, who are nationals of countries falling under EO 408, travelling together with the Balikbayan.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow

blkJack
Posted
Posted
On 4/28/2018 at 12:55 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Ticket can be dated any time not just in the 30 days. Your 30 days start the day after you arrived and are stamped. The point is you have an onward ticket, thats it. 

30 days on.jpg

So is this what I should be following as gospel?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, blkJack said:

So is this what I should be following as gospel?

As of the day it was written yes.  This is Philippines, things change on a whim.  As far as I know that quote you mentioned is still valid today and there has been no talk of changing it, yet.