R.I.P. Alfie Evans

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Alfie Evans: Legal battle toddler dies

Alfie Evans, the 23-month-old toddler at the centre of a High Court legal battle, has died, nearly a week after his life support was withdrawn.

The boy from Merseyside, who had a degenerative brain condition, died at 02:30 BST, his father Tom Evans said.

On Facebook he wrote: "My gladiator lay down his shield and gained his wings... absolutely heartbroken."

The Pope, who took a personal interest in the case, tweeted: "I am deeply moved by the death of little Alfie."

He added: "Today I pray especially for his parents, as God the Father receives him in his tender embrace."

more at link

I thought this was a good topic for those of us who wonder about medical care in Philippines and their "Pay first, treatment later" policies.

At least we have a choice about whether to keep paying and possible keep living.  In Britain's national health system it seems there is no choice.

The child was said to be past the point of being able to have a meaningful life but the parents were not able to take the child to an Italian hospital for alternative treatment.  In Britain it seems, the state decides.  I have seen similar situations arise in the Canadian health care system.  When the government is paying the bill they get to decide when treatment starts and stops.  In Philippines we each get to decide that on our own, and pay for that decision.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure why the little boy was not allowed to go to the Italian hospital ,but the NHS would have picked up the bill ,it's all part of being in the EU ,if his case was hopeless as was determined by medical professionals ,what's the point of keeping someone alive using machines ? Heartbreaking as this story is ,the financial costs would be better served by spending the resource on children who can be saved

• Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Heartbreaking as this story is ,the financial costs would be better served by spending the resource on children who can be saved

Interesting outlook and its one I hear frequently at Philippine hospitals when they are talking about 70 year old expats with ailments that would be treated in the west.  Doctors here play God in somewhat the same way and the story goes something like:

Paraphrasing:  This guy is old and we just don't have the budget to buy the equipment to save him.  Better to spend the resources on younger people who have their life in front of them.

Seems its always about the money and always will be. It is what it is.  R.I.P Alfie Evans and all the others who just cost too much to keep alive.

• Sad 1