Hello All,

I am looking to long term lease a lot in the Philippines, where I'd like to build a small, cozy, hostel.

My concerns are the steps that I need to take up until the actual start of building. Any advice on company set up, land purchase, buildling permits would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!

Welcome to our forum.

Have you done any research on the Philippines before coming up with a great idea? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Whalewatcher said:

Any advice on company set up

Get a Filipino spouse wife is your first step, I am not joking :thumbsup:

Edited by scott h
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, scott h said:

Get a Filipina wife is your first step, I am not joking :thumbsup:

Hmmmm.

That may be fun

Hey, I have been a couple of times and I am looking into Siargao and Eastern Samar. 

And there has to be another way, other than me marrying a local ...male or female haha

5 minutes ago, Whalewatcher said:

Hey, I have been a couple of times and I am looking into Siargao and Eastern Samar. 

And there has to be another way, other than me marrying a local ...male or female haha

You can set up a company but it must be 60% Filipino so you need partners or you can entrust a Filipino to be the sole owner but not recommend.

You can lease but not own the land.

Building permits will vary from ara to area so check your local mayors office as no point us telling you about the procedure in other parts. 

As for being here a couple of times do you think it might be wise to live in the area you want to set up for awhile before taking a big step? 

Posted (edited)

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:
13 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You can set up a company but it must be 60% Filipino so you need partners or you can entrust a Filipino to be the sole owner but not recommend.

You can lease but not own the land.

Building permits will vary from ara to area so check your local mayors office as no point us telling you about the procedure in other parts. 

As for being here a couple of times do you think it might be wise to live in the area you want to set up for awhile before taking a big step? 

It would be wiser, but I could not afford to just spend time there a few months unfortunately. I've traveled all over the world and so far this place and its people have really attracted me. 

I am aware of the company set up requirements but I am not looking into buying the land, rather to long term lease it. And most definitely I want everything to be legal, I don't want to cut any corners.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
fixed quote

What I am trying to find out is if I will be running a hostel, I assume that I still need to set up a company although I won't be buying the land but just providing service and jobs?

Just now, Whalewatcher said:

What I am trying to find out is if I will be running a hostel, I assume that I still need to set up a company although I won't be buying the land but just providing service and jobs?

What sort of a visa do you intend to have to be a business owner? 

Yes as I said you can set up a company but it will be %60 Filipino owned. That's the law.