Expat-to-be...A few questions

Clermont
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, ElevenSeries said:

Just noticed that Edit. Apologies for that.  It's an Army/Infantry thing I picked up, Profanity has been ingrained into my natural way of talking. I don't mean it to be offensive. I should probably  work on not talking that way anyways, I wouldn't want to  blurt something out like that  where a local might get pissed at me or think I was directing it towards them.

Yeah be a bit careful of the language, our swear words sometimes mean different things to them. Bar girls are different but if you pick up on a Barangay girl, watch the face, if it changes to a scroll or tears, apologize straight away, you'll learn by your mistakes.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, ElevenSeries said:

@Old55  Just noticed that Edit. Apologies for that.  It's an Army/Infantry thing I picked up, Profanity has been ingrained into my natural way of talking. I don't mean it to be offensive. I should probably  work on not talking that way anyways, I wouldn't want to  blurt something out like that  where a local might get pissed at me or think I was directing it towards them.

Not just the words, but tone as well. Remember it’s an Asian culture and you need to be careful about loss of face (real or perceived).

Reg your tats: seen plenty of ppl there - both locals and expats - with full sleeves, etc. I doubt you’ll have any problems, but you may garner some stares - some disapproving, but mostly out of curiosity. Having said that, it might be worthwhile to bring along a couple of lightweight long sleeve t-shirts or button downs. Not just to cover up your tats, but also for protection against the sun; especially if you’re planning on being out hiking or riding on a motor bike for extended periods. 

You mentioned prescription meds: it would be advisable to make sure you can get them there. Depending on what you’re taking, once away from big cities they may be harder to find or if found may have been on the shelve for a long time. Cost will likely be much less then in the USA (I know you’re getting them from the VA now, am just saying in case you need to purchase any there) and a visit to a local doctor to get a script won’t cost much either - typically about 500-1,000 pesos.  

Welcome to the forum and hope your trip works out well for you. 

• Like 1

ElevenSeries
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Clermont said:

Yeah be a bit careful of the language, our swear words sometimes mean different things to them. Bar girls are different but if you pick up on a Barangay girl, watch the face, if it changes to a scroll or tears, apologize straight away, you'll learn by your mistakes.

4 hours ago, Gator said:

Not just the words, but tone as well. Remember it’s an Asian culture and you need to be careful about loss of face (real or perceived).

Thanks guys I'll do my best to watch my language and tone.

4 hours ago, Gator said:

Reg your tats: seen plenty of ppl there - both locals and expats - with full sleeves, etc. I doubt you’ll have any problems, but you may garner some stares - some disapproving, but mostly out of curiosity. Having said that, it might be worthwhile to bring along a couple of lightweight long sleeve t-shirts or button downs. Not just to cover up your tats, but also for protection against the sun; especially if you’re planning on being out hiking or riding on a motor bike for extended periods. 

Awesonme, Good to know my Tattoo's shouldn't cause any issues.

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Go travel for a bit, 70k is loads here. I dunno what others do with their money but I feed about 5 people, eat out with the gf about 3 times a week and go on holiday for a few days nearly every month with less than that lol.

• Like 2

ElevenSeries
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Go travel for a bit, 70k is loads here. I dunno what others do with their money but I feed about 5 people, eat out with the gf about 3 times a week and go on holiday for a few days nearly every month with less than that lol.

I'm not really into partying So i think that will save me A lot in the long run.  I did more than enough of that shit in the Army, Lol!

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Lou49 said:

You are a young man of 31. You can squeak by on 70k per month for now but inflation will reduce your purchasing power over time. You could be in very rough shape if you live another 40 years and only have 70k per month to live on. Think about it.

we get cost of living increases...some tomes 2%

• Haha 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Old55 said:

It's OK, frankly one of those words I sometimes unthinkingly post. Actually I kinda am known as the forums village idiot.

Small village though:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2018 at 2:33 PM, ElevenSeries said:

Yes. I'm worried about my PTSD also.  Mainly cause it will be untreated there.

Here is a link to a new treatment that is very promising for those with PTSD which has been difficult to treat: https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/01/health/mdma-psychotherapy-ptsd-study/index.html

This is a cure, in the tests they have only had to give you MDMA once or twice along with psychotherapy while you are on it to cure PTSD.

Edited by earthdome

ElevenSeries
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, earthdome said:

This is a cure, in the tests they have only had to give you MDMA once or twice along with psychotherapy while you are on it to cure PTSD

Cure seems like a stretch...but I have had some small success with microdosing MDMA.  Sadly, that is also Highly Illegal over there in the Phil's. An I think that doing what I can to not wind up dead or in jail over there is a solid base for a plan. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, ElevenSeries said:

Sadly, that is also Highly Illegal over there in the Phil's.

If it is a legal medical treatment in the US (which is news to me but I am following what Earthdome said) then a quick trip to Guam and back is not out of the question for occasional treatment.

• Like 1