American arrested for working on a Tourist Visa

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

From The BI Facebook Page

PRESS RELEASE
30 April 2018

BI Agents Nab American Resort Owner in Boracay

Bureau of Immigration (BI) Agents arrested an American beach resort owner in Boracay, Aklan for working without permit, barely a day before the government effected the temporary closure of one of the country’s top tourist destinations.

BI Commissioner Jaime H. Morente said 52-year-old Randall Lee Parker was caught in flagrante on April 25 by the Bureau’s Intelligence Operatives inside the premises of the Crown Beach Hotel in Boracay, Malay, Aklan.

Morente said he issued a mission order for Parker’s arrest after a complaint was filed with the BI about his business activities in running the said resort without the appropriate work permit or visa.

“He will undergo deportation proceedings for illegally working in the country,” the BI chief said, adding that both the Labor Code and the Immigration Act strictly forbids aliens from engaging in gainful activity unless they obtain a work permit from the Labor Department and employment visa from the BI.

Morente also revealed that Parker has been in the Philippines as a tourist for almost two years already and that by engaging in gainful work he blatantly violated the conditions of his stay as a temporary visitor.

Atty. Antonette Bucasas- Mangrobang, BI spokesperson, disclosed that a check of the Bureau’s travel records showed that the American arrived in the country on April 16, 2016 and has not departed ever since.

Mangrobang said Parker, whose stay as a tourist was extended up to June 14 this year, has been going in and out of the country since 2005.

According to Mangrobang, existing laws that regulate the employment of aliens in the country are intended to ensure that their activities in the country are consistent with their Immigration Documentation.

“The rule is that aliens holding tourist visas are not allowed to engage in any form of gainful employment or business activity,” she added.

• Like 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Of all people this guy should have known better. He's far from being a new to the Philippines and he knows the law. I'm sure he has spent alot of money lining the pockets of officials in Boracay. I hope they make an example out of him. One has to wonder how many more are out there doing the same thing.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Ram1957 said:

Of all people this guy should have known better. He's far from being a new to the Philippines and he knows the law. I'm sure he has spent alot of money lining the pockets of officials in Boracay. I hope they make an example out of him. One has to wonder how many more are out there doing the same thing.

I have started to notice that when people have gotten away with breaking the law for long periods of time that they forget they were breaking the rules. Yes, I hope they get what's coming to them too. It's not like he needed a job to support a family or the like.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

How much you want to bet he raised some kind of stink about being closed down?

Obviously he upset the wrong people. Most touristy places employ many foreigners in dive shops, and mostly they are only on a tourist visa,. Rather selective deportation I believe.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Rather selective deportation I believe.

I don't think so Bruce, he will joining the Australian Awaiting Deportation who thought he could Build and run a pension House here in Dumaguete, We none of us like Rules but they are there and we have to stick to them, Both men and their Stories (to me anyway) have a lot more behind them that we don't  know at this time know, so I for one will not Speculate :mellow:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, robert k said:

It's not like he needed a job to support a family or the like.

Unless there is further information not posted here we do not know that. We dont know exactly if he owned the resort or was managing for someone else either.

3 hours ago, RBM said:

Obviously he upset the wrong people.

Yes could have been anyone from rival resort owners to an ex girlfriend or wife or bad employees and maybe local officials. Bet we never know the full details.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Unless there is further information not posted here we do not know that. We dont know exactly if he owned the resort or was managing for someone else either.

Yes could have been anyone from rival resort owners to an ex girlfriend or wife or bad employees and maybe local officials. Bet we never know the full details.

Reading comprehension is sooo fundamental. "Bureau of Immigration (BI) Agents arrested an American beach resort OWNER in Boracay, 

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, robert k said:

Reading comprehension is sooo fundamental.

Meaning what? 

• Jollygoodfellow unlocked this topic
Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I guess it should be elsewhere but it suits here :thumbsup:

BEER and talking to seriosly.jpg

• Love it 1