English Breakfast

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We have friends visiting Metro Manila for two weeks.  They would like to know if there is a hotel or restaurant serving a proper English Breakfast. The couple are actually Japanese, but they have both resided in England most of their life (parents were expats working for Japanese companies). They are more English than the English. 

They don't eat sushi! (Sacrilege.)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, JJReyes said:

They would like to know if there is a hotel or restaurant serving a proper English Breakfast.

Best I have had is at the "Bayview" Hotel on Roxas Boulevard opposite to the US Embassy

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I'm sitting in a harvester in Northampton England ,having just polished off their " big breakfast ' I can thoroughly recommend it 

Might be a bit far from Manila though :-)

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

We have friends visiting Metro Manila for two weeks.  They would like to know if there is a hotel or restaurant serving a proper English Breakfast. The couple are actually Japanese, but they have both resided in England most of their life (parents were expats working for Japanese companies). They are more English than the English. 

They don't eat sushi! (Sacrilege.)

http://howzat.ph/sports-bar/menu/

ALL DAY ENGLISH BREAKFAST
Two eggs (any style), back bacon) English bangers, black pudding, hashed brown. Grilled tomato, fried potatoes & onion, baked beans and fried mushrooms, served with toast bread (whole wheat or white). Butter, marmalade or jam, tea or coffee & a glass of orange juice) To spice up your day. Replace OJ with Bloody Mary add ₱150 Bottomless Bloody Mary add ₱295

₱450

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I will be in the U.K. during the month of July. This will give me the opportunity to have English breakfast, minus the black pudding, and call it, "early lunch."

I need to add another 10 years to my wife's longevity chart. Her aunt will be 107 this year while her mother turns 97 in August.  My wife's idea of fun is going on hikes in the Scottish Highlands. Still trying to dissuade her. My fault. I purchased British Rail passes good for the entire United Kingdom. Should have purchased one limited to England.

Thanks for the information on English breakfast in Metro Manila. I will pass on the information to my friends.

Reboot
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Best I have had is at the "Bayview" Hotel on Roxas Boulevard opposite to the US Embassy

I second that. Good breakfast there.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My wife and I will be in the U.K. during the month of July. This will give me the opportunity to have English breakfast, minus the black pudding, and call it, "early lunch."

I need to add another 10 years to my wife's longevity chart. Her aunt will be 107 this year while her mother turns 97 in August.  My wife's idea of fun is going on hikes in the Scottish Highlands. Still trying to dissuade her. My fault. I purchased British Rail passes good for the entire United Kingdom. Should have purchased one limited to England.

Thanks for the information on English breakfast in Metro Manila. I will pass on the information to my friends.

Happy birth day to the in laws.......shame its not transferable by marriage.  No shot at her life insurance...planing a large party for my 100th...get insurance back dance women booze band and just waste the rest.  

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 5/2/2018 at 3:13 PM, JJReyes said:

If you miss out the Scottish Highlands you will miss the most beautiful part of the UK 

If your wife wants to do hiking ,tell her to have a look at the west highland way ,it's very organized now with mini vans transporting your luggage and hostels for walkers ,I did it about 40 years ago , it was hardcore then ,just like walking the inaccessible parts of the mountain ranges , Scotland is beautiful , so are some parts of England such as the peak District and the lake District 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

I did it about 40 years ago

My precise problem. Now that I am 70 with a bad back, hiking is no longer in my resume. 40 years ago, my wife and I traveled using Eurail passes for 7 months (prices then were $300 for 3 months, unlimited travel. We purchased two each placing a two weeks gap in between, one week before and one week after the train travel). We walked and hiked everywhere.

What we have booked so far is two days at Tenby and 8 days in Bristol. There will be day trips from Bristol. A few days in Edinburgh is in the works.  Still trying to convince my wife we should spend our time in the lake district rather than Inverness and the Scottish Highlands. Now she wants to do both.

Good news for me is GBP is down vis-a-vis USD.  I am going to my bank today to order some for our immediate needs. The remainder will be through ATM withdrawals.

By the way, we no longer purchase Eurail passes. They are expensive and reservations are mandatory with an extra payment of Euro 10 each per trip segment.  Cheaper to purchase online each trip segment as a Senior using a booking agency purchased by SNCF (French railroad). No fees and no extra charges for reservation.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We have only been to Tenby the once, went camping for a week, we left by the Thursday, we were flooded out. Scotland is great, especially Edinburgh, but again you need the weather on your side. We haven't done the lakes yet, very beautiful but can get very crowded. Again you need the weather, there is a clue in the title.