Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JJReyes

English Breakfast

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

My precise problem. Now that I am 70 with a bad back, hiking is no longer in my resume. 40 years ago, my wife and I traveled using Eurail passes for 7 months (prices then were $300 for 3 months, unlimited travel. We purchased two each placing a two weeks gap in between, one week before and one week after the train travel). We walked and hiked everywhere.

What we have booked so far is two days at Tenby and 8 days in Bristol. There will be day trips from Bristol. A few days in Edinburgh is in the works.  Still trying to convince my wife we should spend our time in the lake district rather than Inverness and the Scottish Highlands. Now she wants to do both.

Good news for me is GBP is down vis-a-vis USD.  I am going to my bank today to order some for our immediate needs. The remainder will be through ATM withdrawals.

By the way, we no longer purchase Eurail passes. They are expensive and reservations are mandatory with an extra payment of Euro 10 each per trip segment.  Cheaper to purchase online each trip segment as a Senior using a booking agency purchased by SNCF (French railroad). No fees and no extra charges for reservation.

 

 

A must do rail trip is from Inverness to the Kyle of lochalsh ,another that may tickle your fancy is the Jackobean express ,it's a steam train that runs from Fort William to Malaig and back  , you best book it in advance ,the train goes through stunning countryside and over the Glenfinnan viaduct ( a must for Harry potter fans ) , the Kyle train is regarded as Britain's most scenic rail route

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bastonjock said:

A must do rail trip is from Inverness to the Kyle of lochalsh ,another that may tickle your fancy is the Jackobean express ,it's a steam train that runs from Fort William to Malaig and back  , you best book it in advance ,the train goes through stunning countryside and over the Glenfinnan viaduct ( a must for Harry potter fans ) , the Kyle train is regarded as Britain's most scenic rail route

Thanks for the information. I believe our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter have taken the trip. Our granddaughter is a fan of the Harry Potter book series. They had mentioned about the train used in the Harry Potter movies.

U.K. has excellent trains. We got an 8 days BritRail pass plus 1 day bonus or a total of 9 days unlimited travel. For trips to Bath from Bristol and other nearby places, our plan is to purchase local train tickets.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The title of this topic has made me feel really hungry for breakfast, but even though I've eaten and enjoyed the full English Breakfast, I still prefer a full American Breakfast.   

Capture.thumb.JPG.4ee6df97accbec0faa643abeeaa8ff70.JPG

So, I think that I'll  be stopping off at Denny's during my next visit to Manila. :tiphat:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Foreigner said:

The title of this topic has made me feel really hungry for breakfast

The title of the topic makes me laugh. We started off with a question about where to find an English breakfast in Manila for a Japaneses couple and from there we moved to the UK, took a train trip, visited the Scottish highlands , mentioned some hiking and perhaps met with Harry Potter but now we are about to eat an American breakfast at Denny's Manila. 

So what will I have, perhaps throw another shrimp on the Barbie shrimp-on-the-barbie.jpg or..... Vegemiteontoast_large.jpg

:tiphat: :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The title of the topic makes me laugh. We started off with a question about where to find an English breakfast in Manila for a Japaneses couple and from there we moved to the UK, took a train trip, visited the Scottish highlands , mentioned some hiking and perhaps met with Harry Potter but now we are about to eat an American breakfast at Denny's Manila. 

So what will I have, perhaps throw another shrimp on the Barbie shrimp-on-the-barbie.jpg or..... Vegemiteontoast_large.jpg

:tiphat: :smile:

Lol ,we do tend to wander off the subject a tad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

Lol ,we do tend to wander off the subject a tad. 

It is easy to do because we have a "chatterbox" forum for wandering around off the topic.  The correct procedure, for anyone who wants to digress, is to start a thread in the chatterbox for the off topic stuff.  OR a moderator could move it on over, but we moderators can be as lazy as the next person about that if the boss is not getting too upset about it. :whistling:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Japanese friends who grew up in England thanked me for the information on English breakfast in Metro Manila. I told them that American breakfast is a possible substitute. You get eggs, pork sausages, bacon and pancakes. I also recommended they try a Filipino breakfast with tocino or longaniza, garlic fried rice and overcooked eggs.  Notice there is no mention of dried salted fish with tomatoes and raw onions.  No need to shock them after living a sheltered life.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

http://howzat.ph/sports-bar/menu/

ALL DAY ENGLISH BREAKFAST
Two eggs (any style), back bacon) English bangers, black pudding, hashed brown. Grilled tomato, fried potatoes & onion, baked beans and fried mushrooms, served with toast bread (whole wheat or white). Butter, marmalade or jam, tea or coffee & a glass of orange juice) To spice up your day. Replace OJ with Bloody Mary add ₱150 Bottomless Bloody Mary add ₱295

₱450

The 'Howzat Sports Bar' in Makati, Manila is a great bar to visit.  As JGF mentions, the English breakfast is readily available there, I always eat there whenever I am in Manila. Its only about 300 metres from Burgos Street which is a fun place to visit particularly for 'newbies'.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×