Survival Skills in The Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

No one is immune to gravity

There are some I am not sure of.  Enough hot air will overcome the effects of gravity, or at least give the appearance of doing so.  No one on this forum, of course. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Foreigner
Posted
Posted

Do not consume any free food or drinks from strangers, especially in Manila, since you could get drugged, which may lead to getting robbed or worse.

Just say 'salamat na lang,' which means:  No Thanks.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Foreigner said:

you could get drugged,

not to mention a galloping case of the poops

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Carry a book or electronic bookreader around with you to help kill time while waiting in line.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

AwesomeLife
Posted
Posted

Would a vehicle webcam (really cheap on ebay/amazon) make sense for those who drive?

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, AwesomeLife said:

Would a vehicle webcam (really cheap on ebay/amazon) make sense for those who drive?

It might but the way it is, if you run over someone even if they are standing in the middle of the road it's your fault. Look at the truck driver a month ago when a motorcycle ran into the side of him which was clearly not his fault, the truck driver is arrested. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• 4 weeks later...
lobojohn
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2018 at 1:36 AM, ElevenSeries said:

Having never been there, but soon to be there, This is some pretty solid advice.

some of the best if not the best youll ever be given. 

lobojohn
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2018 at 7:30 PM, Guy F. said:

Carry a book or electronic bookreader around with you to help kill time while waiting in line.

or.. let your wife do the waiting. shes very used to it . my wife never allows me to wait in any line. its doable believe me. 

• Like 1

lobojohn
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2018 at 9:36 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can't see that it would hurt, but if you are thinking of evidence in court then the Philippines has this weird view that eyewitness testimony trumps video footage.  Perhaps they are paranoid about photo-shopped video but it is what it is.  So if the people standing around and watching tell the cops that you are guilty then there is a good chance that the judge will also find you guilty, regardless of webcam.  But again, it can't hurt and if something serious happens it may give your lawyer a start on how to handle the case.

its the very 1st thing they question when entered as evidence. even if they know it is a true and accurate accounting and not tampered with it buys a lot of time and here by time i mean sometimes years. still.. not a bad idea just in case you actually get a fair and impartial .. uh oh well , never mind.. ;)