Haleys comet tonight

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Hi guys

If you are fortunate to have a clear sky tonight ,go and have a look and you should see up to 30 meteor strikes an hour at its peak 

According to my astronomical club the southern hemisphere will get the best views of the tail that follows Harleys comment as the earth path passes through it ,you won't get another chance until 2061 ,so you have been warned :-)

I saw one two strikes last night and I'll be out soon looking for more , also Jupiter is in a great position to have a look at even through binoculars 

Astronomy  may not be your thing ,but on a personal level I find it very interesting 

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Hi guys

If you are fortunate to have a clear sky tonight ,go and have a look and you should see up to 30 meteor strikes an hour at its peak 

According to my astronomical club the southern hemisphere will get the best views of the tail that follows Harleys comment as the earth path passes through it ,you won't get another chance until 2061 ,so you have been warned :-)

I saw one two strikes last night and I'll be out soon looking for more , also Jupiter is in a great position to have a look at even through binoculars 

Astronomy  may not be your thing ,but on a personal level I find it very interesting 

Whereabouts in the sky, North, East, South or West? You can see Venus, at dusk when it's dark. West. 

Edited by jimeve
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Whereabouts in the sky, North, East, South or West?

MANILA, Philippines—Meteors caused by the annual Eta Aquarids shower will streak across Philippine skies before dawn on Sunday or Monday, the weather bureau said.

Stargazers in the country will be able to see from five to 10 meteors per hour during the shower that will occur before sunrise on May 5 or 6, according to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa).

http://business.inquirer.net/120185/meteor-showers-visible-over-ph

Since its already May 7 it looks like we missed it in Philippines.  Unless it is the usual kind of reporting over here.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Whereabouts in the sky

Up :smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I saw a large shooting star about 4 days ago. Heading n a Westerly direction. It took about 5 seconds to burn out. 

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Whereabouts in the sky, North, East, South or West? You can see Venus, at dusk when it's dark. West. 

Last night I saw them in the south west and also east , I did not witness the 30 per hour , probably due to light pollution 

• Like 1