Plumbing Headache! Any ideas?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/12/2018 at 12:59 AM, Old55 said:

With some additional work. $15,000+ USD!!!!

Actually that doesn't seem too bad.  Most of the older houses in S. Cal needed a full copper repipe at some point, which usually included opening up the walls and putting the new copper piping in and repainting, etc.  Is that what you did?  When everything is in concrete, that method doesn't work so good!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Actually that doesn't seem too bad.  Most of the older houses in S. Cal needed a full copper repipe at some point, which usually included opening up the walls and putting the new copper piping in and repainting, etc.  Is that what you did?  When everything is in concrete, that method doesn't work so good!

Your situation is different because of the cement walls.

We used PEX in walls (wood 2X4 & sheetrock) copper where exposed. Yes the walls needed opened up but in our case was not an issue because we had most of the place gutted for the renovation.

They used a water jet machine to bore under our driveway and foundation to add a new service line from the meter.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Old55 said:

We used PEX in walls

I had to look that up.  Seems like a great solution for repiping.  I suppose it is not done here in PH.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Meter in neighbours dirty kitchen, do you really need of ask where your missing water has gone.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Meter in neighbours dirty kitchen, do you really need of ask where your missing water has gone.

No, nothing like that going on.  :smile:  I'm surprised you are the first to make that comment.

In this picture, ours is the meter on the top, and the pipe on the right of it goes directly through the wall into our maid's room.

20180510_143458 (2).jpg

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Yes the comment was made tounge in cheek. I'm surprised that if you are loosing a large amount of water you aren't seeing damp somewhere.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Yes the comment was made tounge in cheek. I'm surprised that if you are loosing a large amount of water you aren't seeing damp somewhere.

Yes, I have no idea where the water is going.  Perhaps I have a big sinkhole under the house now?  :shock_40_anim_gif:

However, we have slowed it down by turning off the one valve that is going to the leak.  We try to only turn it on when really needed, then shut if off again.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I have no idea where the water is going.

Have you walked around the outside of the house and looked for green grass etc to see if you can pinpoint it better.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Have you walked around the outside of the house and looked for green grass etc to see if you can pinpoint it better.

Yes, no signs.

The problem with that is, the back of the house has a concrete and tile patio, and the pipes that would be subject to the leak are in the back.

I do have an old outside CR, now storeroom, that has the pipes sealed off, but I looked in there and found nothing.  It is also near the back of the house.

We are in a drought, everything is dry,  and we have to water the gardens twice a day, so if there was some extra moisture around, we should spot it easily.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

We are in a drought, everything is dry,  and we have to water the gardens twice a day, so if there was some extra moisture around, we should spot it easily.

Thats why its puzzling as even if its under the concrete it should soak out somewhere at some stage.