Buying a used car

RBM
Posted
Posted

Recently we decided to buy a small unit for the S O to have as an entry level vehicle. Preferable suzuki swift or similar automatic..

Started with OLX and Carmudi cars, we were prepared to travel pretty much anywhere for the right car, around P400K as budget. Became very discouraged as sent out at least 40 messages plus dozens of texts and received 1 half hearted reply.

What amazed me was some of the adverts were rush sales and very negotiable. In my reply prices were never mentioned just asked number of previous owners and service history.......

Went to a dealership in Bacolod, they told us yes we have the exact unit for you, great can I see it please. Well Sir not available right now but we shall text you when....still waiting. Another dealership surprised me by contacting us with nice details about a unit, we were pretty much sold until viewed same. Mileage far higher than quoted plus was the old model even though we were told it's the newer 1.2 model, just straight out lies...

So currently in the to hard to do basket, perhaps some enlightened gentleman can explain why these people never respond  or answe fone after advertising their car.....Guess I am missing something. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, RBM said:

perhaps some enlightened gentleman can explain why these people never respon

I'm all ears on this one.  I have only purchased two cars and a couple of used motorcycles in Philippines and have not had that trouble.  The trouble I have had is:  good deals go FAST, so if I am not "Johnny on the spot" as soon as I hear of a deal then there is no point texting or calling as the deal will be gone.  In fact, I have gone so far as to pay a guy more than he was asking for one of my motorcycles.  Reason is he was asking less than what he could get fro the unit and I told him that.  When I contacted the fellow he already had a long list of people wanting to look at the motorcycle and I told him he was asking too little and could I pay more.  Straight to the front of the line I went and I still got it for less than I could resell it for.  But I just got lucky with each of my purchases.  Must be a bit of Scotsman in my heritage as I don't buy until I am sure the price is the best I am ever going to get.

But sometimes I don't want to wait for a good deal to fall in my lap so I am curious about your adventures in searching for a used vehicle.  My best advice is the advice I will follow myself when the time is right for another vehicle.  Talk to your bank manager.  Ask him where all the repos are kept and ask him how to go about getting a good one.  Chances are he is driving a repo himself.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Difficulty in finding used cars (or at least ones in good condition with accurate descriptions) were why we eventually gave up and bought a new one.

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted

Same here. We bought a Susuki Ciara...real popular, and shouldn't have any maintenance issues for a few years. Costs were not much more than what you were looking at. The banks bend over backwards to get your business. They even delivered the car to the province for you. Even got a 50" Hisense TV thrown in for free! 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Started with OLX and Carmudi cars, we were prepared to travel pretty much anywhere for the right car

I have a theory on the non-responses.  If you are far out of the area, they don't think you are serious about coming a long way to buy.

We have sold some small stuff like strollers on OLX, and we would get questions from people in Manila.  So my wife is patient enough say "did you see that we are in Subic and you are willing to come here to buy a p1000 stroller?"  Usually they said whoops, didn't realize.

So, so some sellers might be ignoring you because you are far away?????

I like the Swifts that have the stance of a mini-cooper.  Someone around here has a burnt orange one that looks nice.  Before I bought the Brio, I looked around but did not find any in the area.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Before I bought the Brio

Until just recently I did not realize there were two models of Brio, the hatchback and the sedan. Which did you choose and is there much difference in the price of each?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Until just recently I did not realize there were two models of Brio, the hatchback and the sedan. Which did you choose and is there much difference in the price of each?

I was not shopping for the Brio so when I bought the hatchback, so I also did not know they have a Brio Amaze sedan, at the time.  I just happened to be browsing all ads for anything in our area, on OLX, and saw the Brio advertised by a guy nearby.  Only 6 months old, mileage and price were good, so I bought it.  I am a fan of Honda quality.

I like hatchbacks on small cars so I don't know if I would have been interested in the Amaze.  I sat in the Honda City at the dealer and liked it a lot, so if I was buying a new sedan, that might be an option.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have a theory on the non-responses.  If you are far out of the area, they don't think you are serious about coming a long way to buy.

Yes never thought this way perhaps that is the answer. What ever it's very frustrating, it's an entry level car for the SO so not prepared to over spend.

Now checking  some units on FB negros see what happens, also including the yaris and open other small HBO. 

Shot off another 5 messages yesterday and no reply today as expected.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

One thing to be aware of when buying a used car there is a high chance that it has been clocked. Modern electronics doesn't seem to make a difference.

• Like 1