Buying a used car

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, RBM said:

Shot off another 5 messages yesterday and no reply today as expected.

It's a holiday as well as voting day so many have traveled back to the province. Maybe tomorrow you will get a reply or the day after or day after that or...,,, never mind :smile:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2018 at 5:40 PM, OnMyWay said:

I sat in the Honda City at the dealer and liked it a lot, so if I was buying a new sedan, that might be an option.

The Honda City is really quite spacious for a sub-compact sedan (and the Civic is again more spacious than many other compact sedans).

It's a factor that should be taken into consideration for a lot of expats (we tend to be... larger).

NB... there's NOT a lot of space in the back seat of an Alto :)

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

The Honda City is really quite spacious for a sub-compact sedan

Yes, that is what I noticed, and I am 6' 2" and very muscular around the waist.  The trunks on the City and Civic are huge!  That is what I liked about my last Honda, a 2006 Accord Hybrid.  Lots of room all over.  Miss that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I am 6' 2" and very muscular around the waist

ROTFLMAO

:hystery:

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, earthdome said:

ROTFLMAO

:hystery:

I'm a lot more muscular around the waist now than when you saw me!  :smile:

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• 2 weeks later...
lobojohn
Posted
Posted
On 5/13/2018 at 12:37 PM, RBM said:

Recently we decided to buy a small unit for the S O to have as an entry level vehicle. Preferable suzuki swift or similar automatic..

Started with OLX and Carmudi cars, we were prepared to travel pretty much anywhere for the right car, around P400K as budget. Became very discouraged as sent out at least 40 messages plus dozens of texts and received 1 half hearted reply.

What amazed me was some of the adverts were rush sales and very negotiable. In my reply prices were never mentioned just asked number of previous owners and service history.......

Went to a dealership in Bacolod, they told us yes we have the exact unit for you, great can I see it please. Well Sir not available right now but we shall text you when....still waiting. Another dealership surprised me by contacting us with nice details about a unit, we were pretty much sold until viewed same. Mileage far higher than quoted plus was the old model even though we were told it's the newer 1.2 model, just straight out lies...

So currently in the to hard to do basket, perhaps some enlightened gentleman can explain why these people never respond  or answe fone after advertising their car.....Guess I am missing something. 

PATIENCE and EXPERIENCE with cars and sellers is the key... its a complete crap shoot here if your eyes arent wide open and you dont have a very good understanding of how people view their cars here. 

i drove an old Nissan that i got from a family member here for more than it was worth, but hey.. NP. I had to do a lot of fixing to make it hold up while i searched for the car i wanted. AND WHAT A SEARCH.. !!!  

before OLX it was Sulit.. maybe its still here .. im not sure.. but before that was all the other sites that we so full of scammers and liars that it was fruitless to even try. 

OLX has actually become the place i still look for vehicles. im a bit of an older car guy. i can buy a new one ,but they have no appeal to me. 

only a few people on OLX really can talk cars with you and answer important questions honestly (?) . reasonably. when i say patience i took years to find the 3 door pajero i have now and although the title says its a 2007 that is only the born date here in the fils. research shows that its 10 years older, but its a beauty and so tough and reliable. ive made repairs to it too. its a car. they all need repairs old or new.. its a diesel. now im searching for a gasoline ford explorer or suburban or some large type like that. im a big car lover and i have had both in the past and can work on them . 

about not getting replies? very normal and yes frustrating when you think youve found the right car. they dont reply , because they think youre too far away unless youve told them where you live though. they are on fils time and thats no hurry. 

some japanese SUVs are subic conversions.. others are called locals . its confusing. regarding the rolled back odometer? the 1st thing i look at is the break pedal.. it takes a couple 100,000 kl to wear it down to the metal unless a driver just rode on the break, so if a seller says its under 100k kl and the pedal shows metal on the right bottom corner, then hes lying of course. 

LOOK FOR OVER HEATING EVIDENCE.. its big here.. look for odd rust inside of the car where it doesnt make sense.. its a flood car.. check under the floor mats.  unusual seat wear? seats covered? uncover them. its your money. smooth motor, tranny,good breaks etc.. 

ask if there are ANY ISSUES? oh boy.. none sir 100% good.. hahahaha 

good luck and "caveat emptor"